IoT Platform allows you to group devices. You can use device groups to manage devices across products. This article describes how to create and manage device groups in the IoT Platform console.
- Each group can have up to 100 subgroups.
- Groups can be nested in only three layers, which are groups, subgroups, and child subgroups.
- Each subgroup belongs to only one group.
- You can create or delete the nested relationship of groups, but cannot modify the nested relationship.
- You cannot delete a group that has one or more subgroups. To delete a group, you must first delete all of its subgroups.
- You can search for groups and subgroups by name. Fuzzy search is supported.
- Log on to the IoT Platform console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose . The Groups page appears.
- Click Create Group. In the Create Group dialog box, set the parameters and click OK.
Note Each Alibaba Cloud account can create up to 1,000 groups and subgroups.
Parameter Description Parent Group The type of the group to be created.
- If you select Groups, the group to be created is a parent group.
- If you select a specific group, the group to be created is a subgroup of the selected group.
Group Name In the Add Whitelist dialog box, set the Whitelist Name parameter. The name must be 4 to 30 characters in length, and can contain letters, digits, and underscores (_).
The group name must be unique within your Alibaba Cloud account and cannot be modified after it is created.
Description The description of the group. This parameter is optional.
- Optional. On the Device Details page, add a tag to the group. A tag is a custom group identifier. This allows you to flexibly manage the group. For more information, see Group tag.
- On the Group Details page, click the Device List tab, and then click Add Device to Group. In the Add Device to Group panel, search for a device, select the device, and then click OK.
In the Add Device to Group panel, you can click All or Selected in the upper-right corner.
- You can add up to 1,000 devices at a time. You can add up to 20,000 devices to each group.
- Each device can be added to up to 10 groups.
- If you click All, all devices are displayed in the list.
- If you click Selected, only selected devices are displayed in the list.
After a device is added, you can search for the device on the Device List tab.
- If you select All, the tab displays all the devices in the group that belong to all the products within your Alibaba Cloud account. Fuzzy search is supported. You can enter a keyword to search for devices. For example, if you enter the keyword test, the search results may be the devices named test1, test2, and test3 within your Alibaba Cloud account.
- If you select a specific product, the tab displays all the devices that belong to the selected product. Fuzzy search is supported. You can enter a keyword to search for devices.
- Optional. On the Group Details page, choose to create a subgroup.
Subgroups are used for finer-grained device management. For example, for a group named Smart_home, you can create subgroups such as Smart_kitchen and Smart_bedroom. This helps you separately manage kitchen equipment and bedroom equipment. To configure a subgroup, perform the following steps:
After you create the subgroup and add devices to the subgroup, you can manage the subgroup and the devices in it. You can also create child subgroups for the subgroup.
- In the Create Group dialog box, select a parent group, enter a name and a description for the subgroup, and then click OK.
- On the Subgroups tab, find the subgroup that you created and click View in the Actions column.
- On the Group Details page of the subgroup, click the Device List tab. Then, click Add Device to Group and add devices to the subgroup.