The collected log data can be sent to Log Service through the Alibaba Cloud intranet, the Internet, or through Global Acceleration.
- Internet: Sending log data through the Internet can be limited by the network bandwidth. Additionally, network issues such as jitters, latency, and packet loss may affect the speed and stability of data transmission.
- Alibaba Cloud intranet: The Alibaba Cloud intranet supports shared bandwidth at the gigabit-level and can transmit log data more quickly and stably than the Internet. The intranet includes the Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) environment and the classic network environment.
- Global Acceleration: This network service accelerates log collection by using the edge nodes of Alibaba Cloud Content Delivery Network (CDN). Compared with the Internet, Global Acceleration provides lower transmission delay and greater stability.
Select a network type
Whether your log data is transmitted through the Alibaba Cloud intranet depends on your server type and if the server and the Log Service Project are in the same region. The Alibaba Cloud intranet can transmit log data in only the following two scenarios:
Therefore, we recommend that you create a Log Service Project in the region where your ECS instances reside, and collect logs to this Project. Then the log data of the ECS instances is written to Log Service through the Alibaba Cloud intranet, without consuming the Internet bandwidth.Note When you install a Logtail client on a server, you must select the region in which the Log Service Project resides. Otherwise, the log data cannot be collected.
- The ECS instances of your account and the Log Service Project are in the same region.
- The ECS instances of other accounts and the Log Service Project are in the same region.
- Global Acceleration:
If your servers are located in your self-built IDCs overseas, or your servers are hosted by overseas cloud vendors, using the Internet to transmit data may cause problems such as high latency and unstable transmission. In this case, you can use Global Acceleration instead. Global Acceleration accelerates log collection by using the edge nodes of Alibaba Cloud CDN. Compared with data transmission through the Internet, Global Acceleration offers a more stable network with minimal transmission delays.
We recommend that you select the Internet for the following two scenarios:
- The server is an ECS instance, but it does not reside in the same region as the Log Service Project.
- The server is located in your own IDC or provided by a vendors.
|Server type||Reside in the same region as the Project||Configure an AliUid||Network type|
|ECS instances under your account||Yes||Not required||Alibaba Cloud intranet|
|No||Not required||Internet or Global Acceleration|
|ECS instances of other accounts||Yes||Required||Alibaba Cloud intranet|
|No||Required||Internet or Global Acceleration|
|Cloud vendor servers or your own IDC servers||-||Required||Internet or Global Acceleration|
Examples of selecting a network type
|Scenario||Region of the Log Service Project||Server type||Region of the ECS instance||Selected region for installing a Logtail client||Network type||Configure an AliUid|
|ECS and the Project are in the same region.||China East 1 (Hangzhou)||ECS of your current account||China East 1 (Hangzhou)||China East 1 (Hangzhou)||intranet||Not required|
|ECS and the Project are in different regions.||China East 2 (Shanghai)||ECS of your current account||China North 1 (Beijing)||China North 1 (Beijing)||Internet||Not required|
|Other accounts||China East 2 (Shanghai)||ECS belongs to other accounts.||China North 1 (Beijing)||China North 1 (Beijing)||Internet||Required|
|Server is in the local IDC.||China East 5 (Shenzhen)||Self-built IDC||-||China East 5 (Shenzhen)||Internet||Required|
|Global Acceleration||Hong Kong||Self-built IDC||-||Hong Kong||Global Acceleration||Required|
Update configurations after a classic network is switched to a VPC
- Restart the Logtail client as the administrator.
sudo /etc/init.d/ilogtaild stop sudo /etc/init.d/ilogtaild start
Open Management Tool in Control Panel, open Service, right-click LogtailWorker, and then select Restart.
- Update machine group configurations.
- Custom ID
If a custom ID is set to define the machine group, you can directly use the VPC network without updating machine group configurations.
- IP address
If the ECS instance IP address is used when you define the machine group, you must replace the original IP address with the new IP address obtained by the restarted Logtail client. That is, the IP address field in the app_info.json file.The file path of app_info.json:
- Linux: /usr/local/ilogtail/app_info.json
- Windows x64: C:\Program Files (x86)\Alibaba\Logtail\app_info.json
- Windows x32: C:\Program Files\Alibaba\Logtail\app_info.json
- Custom ID