Alibaba Cloud Container Service app catalog feature integrates with Helm, provides the Helm-related features, and extends the features, such as providing a graphic interface and the Alibaba Cloud official repository.
Microservice is the theme of container era. The application microservice brings great challenge to the deployment and management. The microservice can divide a large single application into several microservices. These microservices can be independently deployed and extended to achieve agile development and fast iteration. Microservice brings great benefits to us. However, developers have to face the challenge of managing a large number of microservices, including the resource management, version management, and configuration management.
For the microservice management issues under Kubernetes orchestration, Alibaba Cloud Container Service introduces and integrates with the Helm open-source project to simplify the deployment and management of Kubernetes applications.
Helm is an open-source subproject in Kubernetes service orchestration and a package management tool for Kubernetes applications. Helm supports managing and controlling the published versions in the form of packaging software, which simplifies the deployment and management of Kubernetes applications.
Alibaba Cloud App Catalog feature
The chart list on the App Catalog page includes the following information:
- Chart name: A Helm package corresponding to an application, which contains the image, dependencies, and resource definition required to run an application.
- Version: The version of the chart.
- Repository: The repository that is used to publish and store charts, such as the official repository stable and incubator.
The information displayed on the details page of each chart may vary and include the following items:
- Chart introduction
- Chart details
- Prerequisites for installing chart to the cluster, such as pre-configuring the persistent storage volumes (pv)
- Chart installation commands
- Chart uninstallation commands
- Chart parameter configurations
Currently, you can deploy and manage the charts in the app catalog by using the Helm tool. For more information, see Simplify Kubernetes application deployment by using Helm.