- Reduce the configuration costs for users.
- Prevent invalid alerts.
- Automatically cover all important tasks (the task quantity is beyond the handling capacity of users).
- DataWorks has considerable tasks, and users cannot accurately sort out the tasks that need to be monitored. Some DataWorks services involve thousands of tasks and the dependency between tasks is very complex. Even if you know what are the most important tasks, they have difficulties in figuring out all the upstream nodes of these tasks and putting them under monitoring. In this case, if you need to monitor all tasks, many invalid alerts may be triggered and valid alerts may be overlooked, which is equivalent to the absence of monitoring.
- The alert methods of monitored tasks are different: An alert is reported for some monitored tasks after they run for more than one hour, but is reported for other monitored tasks after they run for more than two hours. Therefore, it is very tedious to set the monitoring for each task separately, and users have difficulties to estimate the alert threshold of each task.
- The alert time of each monitored task is different: For example, an alert is reported after the work start time in the morning for unimportant tasks but is reported for important tasks immediately after they experience an exception. The importance of tasks cannot be differentiated.
- How to close alerts: If alerts are always present, an entry for closing such alerts must be available when users respond to the alerts.
Alarm has a set of alert monitoring logics. You need to only provide the names of important tasks about concerned services. Then, Alarm is capable of monitoring the output of all tasks comprehensively and defining a standard and unified alert mechanism. In addition, Alarm provides the lightweight self-help configuration monitoring function, which allows you to define alert policies based on their requirements.
Currently, Alarm has undertaken the task monitoring of all important services of Alibaba Group. The full path monitoring function of Alarm secures the overall task output links of all important services of Alibaba Group. The upstream and downstream path analysis function enables Alarm to identify risks in a timely manner and provide O&M information for the Business Unit. With the analysis system of Alarm, Alibaba Group maintains high stability of services in the long term.