This topic describes the overview, examples, and deletion of an area chart.
Similar to a line chart, an area chart displays the data trend and proportions.
An area chart consists of the category axis and the value axis. The category axis is the horizontal axis. The categories must be dimensions such as dates, provinces, and product types. The value axis is the vertical axis. The values must be measures such as performance indicators and order numbers.
Dimensions and measures are automatically used for the category axis and the value axis respectively in the dashboards. You only need to select fields from the Dimensions and Measures lists.
Scenario: visualizes the number of orders for each product type of each province. The following example uses the company_sales_record dataset.
- Log on to the Quick BI console.
- Click Datasets to go to the Datasets page.
- Click the Create Dashboard icon for the company_sales_record dataset.
Note If you use Quick BI Enterprise Standard, you need to select Standard or Full Screen as the dashboard display mode. The following example uses the Standard display mode.
- Click the Area Chart icon and an area chart appears on the dashboard.
- Select dimensions and measures.
On the Dimensions list, drag the province and product_type fields to the Category Axis (Dimensions) section respectively. On the Measures list, drag the order_amt field to the Value Axis (Measures) section as shown in the following figure.Note Make sure that you have converted the dimension type from String to Geo for the province dimension. For more information, see Change the dimension type.
- Drag the product_type field to the Colors (Dimensions) area and click Update.
Note You can enable the color legend only when the value axis involves one measure.
- On the Style tab page, you can configure the basic information, chart type, axes, functionality,
and series settings.
- Click Save to save the dashboard.
Configure the style
- In the Basic Information section, you can configure the title, hyperlink, and background
color. This example uses Dark as the background theme.
- In the Basic Information section, you can configure the chart type, such as line chart, stacked area chart, and 100% stacked area chart.
- To configure a hyperlink used to jump to a report or an external page, select Show Hyperlink and enter a name and address.
- In the Chart Type section, you can configure whether to show labels, the position
of legend, whether to display dual Y-axis, and whether to switch to a stacked area
chart or a 100% stacked area chart. This example uses 100% Stacked.
Note Select Show Labels to show all measure labels. Labels support Smart Display and Full Display. Assume that a chart involves many dimension values and the scroll bar is not shown in the chart. In Smart Display mode, only partial labels are displayed. In Full Display mode, all labels are displayed.
- In the axis, you can set the title and unit of the Axis. In this example, set the title of the horizontal axis to Province.
- In the Functionality section, you can configure whether to show a scroll bar.
- In the Series Settings section, you can set measure aliases, the axis style, boundary values, and the data display format. In Series settings, change the color of the Office field to orange.
Click Update and the updated chart is shown as follows.
Delete a chart
Click the More Actions icon in the upper-right corner of a chart and select Delete from the drop-down list to delete the chart.