This topic describes benefits of Message Queue for Apache Kafka compared with the open-source Apache Kafka.
- Message Queue for Apache Kafka is completely compatible with Apache Kafka, that is, open-source Apache Kafka clients can communicate with Message Queue for Apache Kafka. Currently, Message Queue for Apache Kafka supports open-source Apache Kafka of versions 0.9.0 to 2.x. Later versions will be supported in the future.
- You can migrate your business systems that are developed based on existing open-source Apache Kafka ecosystems to Alibaba Cloud Message Queue for Apache Kafka without any modification.
Fully managed service
Alibaba has an experienced and professional O&M team and mature O&M system for Message Queue for Apache Kafka.
- HouseKeeping: checks the running status of the core links of Message Queue for Apache Kafka. It scans and diagnoses the whole cluster every minute and generates alerts for unhealthy instances. It also provides an overall inspection report every day for the O&M personnel to monitor the health status of Message Queue for Apache Kafka.
- Service monitoring and alerting: You can enable monitoring and alerting for message accumulation in each consumer group, helping you discover problems promptly.
- API: Message Queue for Apache Kafka provides a complete set of control-type API operations for you to implement a series of resource management and O&M functions.
The R&D and performance optimization team of Alibaba Cloud message products solves the long-term shortcomings of open-source Apache Kafka and provides you with better services.
- High reliability and high availability: With support from the professional team, Message Queue for Apache Kafka is highly available and allows messages to be persisted to message queues, achieving data reliability of up to 99.999999% and service availability of up to 99.9%.
- Massive message accumulation: The Message Queue for Apache Kafka cluster can always maintain a high throughput when a large number of messages are accumulated.
- Tens of thousands of topics: Message Queue for Apache Kafka supports concurrent read/write operations on tens of thousands of topics while maintaining a high throughput of the Message Queue for Apache Kafka cluster.
Message Queue for Apache Kafka provides functions such as authentication and authorization, Alibaba Cloud accounts and RAM users, and enterprise-level security protection.
- Alibaba Cloud accounts and RAM users: Message Queue for Apache Kafka provides functions such as Alibaba Cloud accounts, RAM users, blacklist, whitelist, and Security Token Service (STS), and supports authorization of Alibaba Cloud accounts, RAM users, and accounts between enterprises.
- Access security: Based on the Alibaba Cloud account system, Message Queue for Apache Kafka authenticates the user identity by using the Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL) mechanism and encrypts the channel based on SSL to protect your data from being stolen or tampered with during transmission.
- Alibaba Cloud VPC: You can access Message Queue for Apache Kafka from Alibaba Cloud Virtual Private Cloud (VPC).
You can scale up the service as needed, without being perceived by the upper-layer services.
- Cluster scale-out: Brokers can be scaled out across zones (data centers).
- Partitioning: Message Queue for Apache Kafka supports quick scaling of tens of thousands of topics and unlimited queues.