This topic describes the benefits of Message Queue for Apache Kafka compared with the open source Apache Kafka.
Message Queue for Apache Kafka is compatible with the open source Apache Kafka and allows you to migrate your business to Alibaba Cloud.
- Message Queue for Apache Kafka is compatible with the open source Apache Kafka. You can use open-source Apache Kafka clients to communicate with Message Queue for Apache Kafka . Message Queue for Apache Kafka supports versions 0.10.x to 2.2. x of the open source Apache Kafka.
- You can migrate your business systems that are developed based on existing open source Apache Kafka ecosystem to Alibaba Cloud Message Queue for Apache Kafka without modification.
Fully managed service
Alibaba has an experienced, professional O&M team and a mature O&M system for Message Queue for Apache Kafka .
- HouseKeeping: It checks the running status of the core links of Message Queue for Apache Kafka . It scans and diagnoses the entire cluster every minute and then generates alerts for unhealthy instances. It also provides an overall inspection report every day for O&M personnel to monitor the health status of Message Queue for Apache Kafka .
- Service monitoring and alerting: The system monitors the number of accumulated messages in each consumer group and generates alerts. This helps you troubleshoot issues at the earliest opportunity.
- OpenAPI: Message Queue for Apache Kafka provides a complete set of API operations. You can call these operations to manage resources and perform O&M.
The development and performance optimization team of Alibaba Cloud messaging products has overcome the disadvantages of open source Apache Kafka to provide better services.
- Data persistence: The team helps ensure higher availability. Messages are persistently enqueued. This ensures high data durability and service availability.
- High throughput: If a large number of messages are accumulated, each Message Queue for Apache Kafka cluster can maintain a high throughput .
- Tens of thousands of topics: Message Queue for Apache Kafka can concurrently read and write tens of thousands of topics to maintain a high throughput of the Message Queue for Apache Kafka cluster.
Message Queue for Apache Kafka supports authentication and authorization mechanism, Alibaba Cloud accounts, and Resource Access Management (RAM) users to provides enterprise-level security protection.
- Alibaba Cloud accounts and RAM users: Message Queue for Apache Kafka supports Alibaba Cloud accounts, RAM users, blacklist, whitelist, and Security Token Service (STS). Message Queue for Apache Kafka also supports authorization between Alibaba Cloud accounts and RAM users, and between enterprise accounts.
- Access security: Based on the Alibaba Cloud account system, Message Queue for Apache Kafka authenticates the identity of a user by using the Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL) mechanism. Message Queue for Apache Kafka also encrypts the channel based on Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) to prevent data interception and tampering during transmission.
- Alibaba Cloud Virtual Private Cloud (VPC): Message Queue for Apache Kafka allows access from the Internet and VPCs. If you select VPC as the network type, you can configure the CIDR block, route table, and gateway of your VPC. Then, you can use the Alibaba Cloud resources that are deployed in the VPC. The resources include Elastic Compute Service (ECS), ApsaraDB RDS, and Server Load Balancer (SLB) instances.
You can scale up the service based on your business requirements. The scale-up is not perceived by upper-layer services.
- Cluster scale-out: Brokers can be scaled out across data centers in different zones.
- Partitioning: Message Queue for Apache Kafka supports quick scaling of tens of thousands of topics and unlimited queues.