Alibaba Cloud provides a default VPC and VSwitch for you if you do not have any existing VPC and VSwitch to use when creating a cloud product instance. A default VPC and VSwitch are created along with the creation of the instance. This document takes ECS as an example to introduce how to create a default VPC and VSwitch.
|A region can only have one default VPC but many default VSwitches. Because VPC is a region-based resource while VSwitch is a zone-based resource. Each zone can have a default VSwitch.|
|Default VPC||Default VSwitch|
|The default VPC in each region is unique.||The default VSwitch in each zone is unique.|
|The subnet mask for a default VPC is /16, such as 172.31.0.0/16, providing up to 65536 private IP addresses.||The netmask for a default VSwitch is /20, such as 172.31.0.0/20, providing up to 4096 private IP addresses.|
|The default VPC does not occupy the VPC quota.||The default VSwitch does not occupy the VSwitch quota.|
|The default VPC is created by the system, and all VPCs created by you are non-default VPCs.||The default VSwitch is created by the system, and all VSwitches created by you are non-default VSwitches.|
|The operations and specifications for the default VPC and non-default VPCs are the same.||The operations and specifications for the default VSwitch and non-default VSwitches are the same.|
- Log on to the ECS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Instances and then click Create Instance.
- Select Advanced Purchase.
- On the Basic Configurations page, configure basic configurations for the instance and click Next: Networking.
- On the Networking page, select the default VPC and the default VSwitch, and configure other configurations. Click Next: System Configurations.
- Configure the log on credential and instance name, and click Create Order.
After the instance is created, a default VPC and a default VSwitch will be created in the region.