This topic describes the database engine versions and database objects that are supported by Database Backup (DBS), and the fine granularity of backup and restoration in DBS. This topic also provides information of features and other items that are supported by each module of DBS.
- Compression: DBS reduces storage costs by using compression, compact backup, and incremental backup.
- Encryption: DBS uses SSL and AES-256 encryption to protect security in the transmission and storage of backup data.
- Throttling: DBS throttles the number of backup threads to reduce the impact on the performance of source databases.
- Lifecycle management: DBS provides complete lifecycle management and globally controls lifecycle rules to dump, clear, copy, and distribute automatic backup data.
Symbols in the tables
- This section describes the meaning of the check (✔️) and cross (❌) signs that are
used in the tables of this topic.
- ✔️ indicates that the feature is supported.
- ❌ indicates that the feature is not supported.
- For more information about terms such as logical backup and full backup, see Backup methods.
- Alibaba Cloud databases
Backup method Feature ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL ApsaraDB RDS for MariaDB TX ApsaraDB RDS for PPAS PolarDB for MySQL PolarDB-O PolarDB for PostgreSQL PolarDB-X Logical backup Version
11 The storage type is ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL. The MySQL version is 5.x. Full data backup ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Incremental log backup ✔️ ❌ ❌ ✔️ ❌ ✔️ ❌ ❌ ❌ Real-time backup RPO in seconds RPO in days RPO in days RPO in seconds RPO in days RPO in seconds RPO in days RPO in days RPO in days Instance restoration ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Minimum granularity Table Table Table Table Table Table Table Table Database Backup set download ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Backup set query ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ❌ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️Note
- Recovery Point Object (RPO) is defined as the maximum amount of data that is allowed to be lost in a disaster, which is measured by time.
- You can back up and restore Alibaba Cloud databases across accounts in DBS. For more information, see Back up and restore data across Alibaba Cloud accounts.
- Self-managed databases hosted on Elastic Compute Service (ECS), local databases, and
cloud databases of other manufacturers
Backup method Feature MySQL SQL Server Oracle PostgreSQL MariaDB Logical backup Version 8.0, 5.7, 5.6, and 5.5 DBS supports the following versions of Windows SQL Server: 2017, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, and 2005 12C, 11g, 10g, and 9i 11, 10, 9.5, 9.4, and 9.3 10.3 and 10 Full data backup ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Incremental log backup ✔️ ❌ ❌ ❌ ✔️ Real-time backup RPO in seconds RPO in days RPO in days RPO in days RPO in seconds Instance restoration ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Minimum granularity Table Table Table Table Table Backup set download ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Backup set query ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ❌ Physical backup Version DBS supports the following versions of MySQL on Linux: 8.0, 5.7, 5.6, and 5.5 2017, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2005, and 2000 DBS supports the following versions of Oracle on Linux: 19g, 18g, 12c, 11g, and 10g ❌ ❌ Full data backup ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Incremental log backup ✔️
Binlogs can be backed up. For more information, see Log backup for MySQL.️
✔️ ✔️ Differential backup ✔️ ❌ ❌ Instance restoration ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Minimum granularity Instance Database Instance Backup set download ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Backup set query ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Minute-level restoration ✔️ ❌ ✔️ DBS sandbox ✔️ ❌ ✔️
|Logical backup||Database engine||
|Version||4.2, 4.0, 3.6, 3.4, and 3.2||4.0, 3.2, 3.0, 2.8, and 2.6|
|Full data backup||✔️||✔️|
|Incremental log backup||✔️ (Only the replica set architecture is supported.)||✔️|
|Real-time backup||RPO in 10 minutes||RPO in 10 minutes|
|Backup set download||✔️||❌|
|Backup set query||❌||❌|
|Physical backup||Database engine and version||❌||
|Full data backup||✔️|
|Incremental log backup||❌|
|Real-time backup||RPO in days|
Database objects supported by logical backup
The following table describes the database objects that can be backed up and restored in DBS.
|Database engine||Database object|
||Table, index, view, trigger, constraint, primary key, foreign key, stored procedure, and function.|
||Table, index, view, function, stored procedure, constraint, foreign key, sequence, rule, domain, extension, and operator.|
||Table, index, view, trigger, stored procedure, user, role, constraint, user-defined function, and user-defined table type.|
|SQL Server||Table, index, view, trigger, stored procedure, user, role, constraint, user-defined function, user-defined data type, and user-defined table type.|
|Oracle||Table, index, view, constraint, foreign key, sequence, trigger, function, stored procedure, synonym, and package.|
|Redis||String, Binary, List, Set, Sorted set, Hash, Bit array, HyperLog, Geo, and Module|
|MongoDB||Table, collection, index, view, function, user, and role
Note Admin databases do not support backup.