This topic describes how to build websites on Elastic Compute Service (ECS).
- Select an ECS instance.
Different types of websites have different requirements on instance configurations. Select an appropriate instance based on the website size and the number of potential visitors. In most cases, you can select instances that have basic configurations for small websites. We recommend that you select an instance in the same way as you purchase an instance. For more information, see Create an instance by using the wizard.
The following table describes recommended instance types and disks.
Configuration Recommendation Instance type
- Instance types in the s6 shared standard and t6 burstable instance families. These instance types are cost-effective and able to meet basic requirements on website building.
- Instance types in the c6 compute-optimized and g6 general-purpose instance families. These instance types deliver high performance and are suitable for website building scenarios that require reliable instance performance.
You can upgrade or downgrade an instance based on your needs. For more information, see Instance families that support instance type changes.
- PL0 enhanced SSDs (ESSDs): deliver ultra-high performance and use the next-generation distributed Elastic Block Storage (EBS) architecture. For more information, see ESSDs.
- Ultra disks: provide cost-effectiveness, medium random IOPS, and high reliability.
For more information about the performance metrics and specifications of disks, see EBS performance.
ECS supports the subscription and pay-as-you-go billing methods. For more information, see Billing overview. Prices vary based on the selected configurations. For more information, see the Pricing tab on the Elastic Compute Service page.
- Configure security group rules.
By default, ports 22 and 3389 that are required to connect to an instance are enabled when you create a security group. For this step, make sure that these ports are enabled to allow inbound traffic. If these ports are not enabled, manually configure security group rules to allow inbound traffic on these ports. For more information, see Add security group rules.
- Deploy a website.
Select a method to deploy your website. For more information, see Summary of website building methods.
- Purchase a domain name.
Enter the domain name that you want to purchase. If the domain name is not in use, you can purchase it. For more information, see Register a generic domain name.
For information about the differences between the .com and .net suffixes, see Domain name differences.
- Apply for an Internet Content Provider (ICP) filing for the domain name.
Note If the instance that hosts your website is located in a region within mainland China, you must apply for an ICP filing for your domain name. Otherwise, you can skip this step.
- Prepare for the ICP filing.
For more information about ICP filing regulations, see ICP filing regulations of the MIIT in different regions. For more information about the preparations for the ICP filing, see Overview.
- Apply for the ICP filing.
- Prepare for the ICP filing.
- Resolve the domain name.
You can resolve your domain name in Alibaba Cloud DNS. For more information, see Configure domain name resolution. After you configure the domain name resolution, users can visit your website by using the configured domain name.
To map the domain name to an IP address, add an A record. For more information, see Record types.
- (Optional) Enable secure HTTPS access.
SSL Certificates Service allows you to redirect traffic to your websites or mobile applications from HTTP to HTTPS at minimal costs. You can use SSL certificates to authenticate users and encrypt data. For more information, see What is SSL Certificates Service? If you purchase and download an SSL certificate, the methods of installing the certificate on severs in different environments vary. For more information, see Installation overview.
Now you have built a website on your own. You can use the domain name to visit the website and test its service.
The following section provides answers to frequently asked questions about using ECS instances or building websites:
- For information about how to select Alibaba Cloud services and configurations based on your business needs, see Architecture Consulting Service.
- If you want to migrate your business from your data center or a hosted data center to Alibaba Cloud, you can request technical support from Alibaba Cloud for cloud migration. For more information, see Cloud Migration Service.