Database Backup (DBS) is a cost-effective and highly reliable cloud native database backup platform that is provided by Alibaba Cloud. DBS provides unlimited backup storage and second-level emergency recovery and recovery drills. DBS activates cold data by using second-level sandbox instances and backup data queries. DBS supports nearly 10 databases such as MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, and Oracle databases. DBS supports full-site backup of files, logs, and databases. DBS supports various environments such as on-premises data centers, cloud platforms provided by other cloud service providers, ECS databases, and ApsaraDB RDS databases. DBS is the preferred and unified hybrid cloud backup platform for enterprises.
Why is DBS preferred?
- Low RPO and RTO
By using the log parsing and synchronization technology of databases, the business can achieve recovery point objective (RPO) and recovery time objective (RTO) within seconds.
- Low costs
Cloud storage is flexible and easy-to-use, and can be expanded in unlimited scenarios. Cloud storage supports the pay-as-you-go billing method.
- Verifiable and quick to use
The cloud restores data to ApsaraDB RDS and analyzes backup databases.
- Security and reliability
Apsara Distributed File System uses a highly reliable distributed and comprehensive data encryption system.
- Hybrid Backup Recovery (HBR)
- Database backup on private networks
- Non-intrusive backup on Oracle
- Centralized management of data sources
- Enterprise-level backup
- Full-site database backup
- Recovery drill
- Enterprise dashboard
- Activate data value
- Backup data query
- Restore or migrate data to ApsaraDB RDS with a single click
- Second-level mount
- Support the integrated ecosystem
- ISV integration
- Enterprise O&M platform integration
We recommend that you understand the following concepts:
- Logical backup: backs up database objects. The backup content includes database objects such as tables, indexes, and stored procedures. Database objects include MySQL mysqldump and Oracle exp and imp.
- Physical backup: backs up database files. The backup content includes database files on the operating system such as MySQL XtraBackup and Oracle RMAN.
- Snapshot backup: a fully usable copy of the specified data set that is obtained based on the snapshot technology. You can choose to maintain snapshots only on the local machine, or perform cross-machine backup for the snapshots such as Veritas File System, Linux LVM, and NetApp NAS.
Supported data sources
For more information, see Supported data sources.
For more information, see Billing methods and billing items.
How to use DBS
You can use the following methods to back up, restore, and query backup data in DBS:
- DBS console: The DBS console provides an easy-to-use web-based GUI. For more information, go to the DBS console.
- Quick start: This guide describes how to buy and configure a backup schedule. For more information, see General workflow to use DBS.
- SDK: The operations that are available in the DBS console can be performed by using SDKs. For more information, see SDK reference.
- API: The operations that are available in the ApsaraDB RDS console can be performed by calling API operations. For more information, see API overview.
FAQ and troubleshooting
When you use DBS, you may encounter problems. The problems include the need to modify the backup source database, database restoration failure, and how to back up a read-only ApsaraDB RDS instance.For more information about problems that you may encounter when you use DBS, see FAQ.