Alibaba Cloud allows you to transfer ownership of classic network-type ECS instances, system disks, and data disks that are created at the same time as the instances. This also includes the transfer of ownership of independent disks that are attached to these instances. You can submit a ticket to apply for ownership transfer of classic network-type instances. However, whether you can use this feature depends on the usage of your ECS instances.
If the ownership transfer of a classic network-type instance fails, the following issues may occur:
- After the ownership transfer, you cannot view the instance in the console of the destination account, and cannot perform operations on the instance. The operations include renewal and configuration upgrade of the instance or replacement of the system disk.
- You cannot start or stop the instance in the console of the destination account.
- Resources of services such as Rational Database Service (RDS), Object Storage Service (OSS), and Server Load Balancer (SLB) that are associated with the instance in the source account are affected after the ownership transfer of the instance. You must have the source and destination accounts prepared for service changes.
Limits on instances
Ownership transfers of classic network-type instances are not supported in the following situations:
- Instances are purchased in some marketing activities. Ownership of ECS instances cannot be transferred to another account owned by the same user. If the information such as ID cards, mobile phone numbers, payment accounts, devices, or addresses for the registration, logon, or use of different accounts are the same, the accounts belong to the same user. For other information, see the activity rules.
- Instances are created within five days.
- Instance configurations are scheduled to change, such as downgrading instance configurations during renewal or temporarily upgrading a bandwidth.
- Some temporarily upgraded configurations are taking effect.
- The source and destination accounts of one ownership transfer belong to different websites. For example, the source account belongs to the China site (aliyun.com) whereas the destination account belongs to the international site (alibaba.com).
- The regions or zones of the instances are changed when the ownership transfers are made.
- After an ownership transfer is made, the total number of instances in the destination security group will exceed the allowed maximum number.
- The network type of the destination security group is different from that of instances for which you are making ownership transfers.
If you did not create classic network-type ECS instances before 17:00:00 (UTC+8) on June 14, 2017, you cannot select classic network-type instances for ownership transfers.
If you cannot create a classic network-type security group, submit a ticket.
- The number of pay-as-you-go instances for which you are making ownership transfers exceeds the remaining allowed maximum number of pay-as-you-go instances for destination accounts.
- The source and destination accounts of one ownership transfer belong to the same user.
- If an ownership transfer for an instance is in progress, you cannot initiate another ownership transfer for the instance.
- The instances are not in the Running or Stopped state.
- The instances are in the Expired or Locked state.
- Disks are being attached to or detached from the instances.
- Encrypted disks are attached to the instances. For more information, see Encryption overview.
- The instances are preemptible instances.
- The instances are created from Alibaba Cloud Marketplace images. For more information, see Alibaba Cloud Marketplace images.
- You have unpaid orders for the instances. Ownership transfers of the instances can be made after the orders are canceled.
- Scheduled tasks to migrate or upgrade the physical servers of the instances exist. Ownership transfers of the instances cannot be made until the preceding tasks are complete.
- The ClassicLink feature is enabled for the instances. For more information, see Overview. After ClassicLink connections are removed, the ownership transfer of the instances can be made.
- The instances host other Alibaba Cloud services, such as Data Transmission Service (DTS). Ownership transfers of the instances can be made after the authorization on the Alibaba Cloud services is revoked.
Limits on accounts
- Real-name verification must be completed for both source and destination accounts.
- If an overdue payment exists in a source or destination account, you must handle the overdue payment before you make an ownership transfer of the instance.
Submit a ticket in the source account. The ticket must contain information about the source account, destination account, ID list of instances for which you want to make ownership transfers, and the ID of the destination security group.
Verification of ownership transfers
- The instances have been removed from the console of the source accounts.
- The instances have been removed from the security groups of the source accounts and added to the security groups of the destination accounts.
- A new refund order of CNY 0 has been placed in the source accounts, and a new purchase order of CNY 0 has been placed in the destination accounts.
- If scheduled temporary bandwidths of the instances have not taken effect before ownership transfers are made, the bandwidths become invalid.
- You cannot apply for refunds for instances after ownership transfers are made.
- After ownership transfers are made for pay-as-you-go instances, the number of pay-as-you-go instances in the source accounts decreases but those in the destination accounts increases.
- After ownership transfers are made for subscription instances, the expiration time of the instances remains unchanged.
- The ownership of independent disks that are attached to the instances has been transferred to the destination accounts.
- Submit a ticket if one of the following cases occur:
- After ownership transfers of the instances are made, the instances may not be able to access the network because the instance images do not support DHCP-based IP address allocation or a static IP address is set in the system.
- Other issues occur during ownership transfers or ownership transfers fail.