Alibaba Cloud optimizes the kernel of ApsaraDB for Redis in a continuous way to fix security vulnerabilities and improve service stability. You can upgrade the kernel version (minor version) of an ApsaraDB for Redis instance with a few clicks in the console.
The method and time required for minor version upgrades vary based on the architecture of an instance:
- For cluster instances, read/write splitting instances, and standard instances, use cross-server migration to upgrade the kernel versions of the instances. Standard instances must be deployed in the zones that support zone-disaster recovery. The upgrade duration depends on the amount of data. The instance may be disconnected within 30 seconds and become read-only within 60 seconds.
- If your standard instances run in the zones that do not support zone-disaster recovery, use the local servers to upgrade the kernel versions of the instances. In most cases, an upgrade starts within 5 minutes after you confirm the upgrade. The upgrade duration depends on the data volume. Your instances may remain disconnected for less than 30 seconds. During a period of less than 60 seconds, you may have only read access to your instances. If the resources of your local servers are insufficient, cross-server migration is required to upgrade the kernel version. In this scenario, the impact of the upgrade is the same as that for the instances in the cluster edition.
- We recommend that you upgrade the kernel version of an instance during off-peak hours and ensure that your application supports automatic reconnection.
- The system automatically checks the kernel version of an instance. If the latest version is used, the Minor Version Upgrade button is unavailable and displayed in gray for the instance. You can find this button in the upper-right corner of the Basic Information section on the Instance Information page of the ApsaraDB for Redis console.
- If an ApsaraDB for Redis instance is created in a zone that supports zone-disaster recovery, such as China (Hangzhou) Zone (B+F), the instance uses the zone-disaster recovery architecture. For more information, see Zone-disaster recovery.
- Log on to the ApsaraDB for Redis console.
- In the top navigation bar, select the region where the target instance is located.
- On the Instances page, click the Instance ID of the target instance.
- On the Instance Information page, click Minor Version Upgrade.
- In the Minor Version Upgrade dialog box that appears, specify the upgrade period of time.
Note During the upgrade process, your ApsaraDB for Redis instance may be disconnected for less than 30 seconds and be read-only for less than 60 seconds. We recommend that you upgrade your instance during off-peak hours.
- Upgrade Now: upgrade the minor version immediately.
- Upgrade During Maintenance: you can upgrade the minor version within the maintenance window. For more information, see Set a maintenance window.
- Click OK.