Alibaba Cloud optimizes the kernel of ApsaraDB for Redis in a continuous way to fix security vulnerabilities and improve service stability. You can use the ApsaraDB for Redis console to upgrade the minor kernel version of an ApsaraDB for Redis instance to the latest version by using a few clicks.
The method and the time required to upgrade the minor version vary based on the architecture of an ApsaraDB for Redis instance.
- If you are using the instances of the cluster edition, the read/write splitting edition, or the standard edition, use cross-server migration to upgrade the kernel versions of the instances. Note that the instances of the standard edition in this scenario are deployed in the zones that support zone-disaster recovery. The upgrade duration depends on the data volume. Your instances may remain disconnected for less than 30 seconds. During a period of less than 60 seconds, you may only have read access to your instances.
- If you are using the standard instances created in the zones that do not support zone-disaster recovery, use the local servers to upgrade the kernel versions of the instances. In most cases, an upgrade starts within 5 minutes after you confirm the upgrade. The upgrade duration depends on the data volume. Your instances may remain disconnected for less than 30 seconds. During a period of less than 60 seconds, you may only have read access to your instances. If the resources of your local servers are insufficient, cross-server migration is required to upgrade the kernel version. In this scenario, the impact of the upgrade is the same as that for the instances of the cluster edition.
- We recommend that you upgrade the kernel version of an instance during off-peak hours and ensure that your application supports automatic reconnection.
- The system automatically checks the kernel version of an instance. If the latest version is used, the Minor Version Upgrade button is unavailable and displayed in gray for the instance. You can find this button in the upper-right corner of the Basic Information section on the Instance Information page of the ApsaraDB for Redis console.
- If an ApsaraDB for Redis instance is created in a zone that supports zone-disaster recovery, such as China (Hangzhou) Zone (B+F), the instance uses the zone-disaster recovery architecture. For more information, see Zone-disaster recovery.
- Log on to the ApsaraDB for Redis console.
- On the left side in the top navigation bar, select the region where the instance is deployed.
- On the Instances page, click the target instance ID. Alternatively, in the Actions column of the target instance, click the More icon and click Manage.
- On the Instance Information page, click Minor Version Upgrade.
- In the Minor Version Upgrade dialog box, select the check box for Update Now and click OK.
In the Basic Information section, the instance state is Upgrading Minor Version. If the instance state changes to Running, the upgrade is complete.