This topic introduces colored maps, including an overview and an application example. This topic also describes how to configure the style of a colored map and how to delete a colored map.
Similar to a Bubble map, a colored map displays data in a single hue with different saturation levels.
A colored map consists of colorscales and geographic locations. Geographic locations are determined by a dimension, such as province. Colorscales are determined by measures, such as order price and profit.
You can specify only one dimension for geographic locations. The type of the dimension must be Geo. You can specify one to five measures for colorscales.
Scenario: Compare the shipping costs, order prices, and profits in different regions. The following example uses the company_sales_record dataset to describe the application of a colored map.
- In the left-side navigation pane of the Workspace page, click Datasets.
On the Datasets page that appears, find the company_sales_record dataset, and click the icon in the Actions column.Note If you are using Quick BI Enterprise Standard, select Standard or Full Screen as the dashboard type. In this example, Standard is selected.
- Click the icon. A colored map appears in the display area of the dashboard.
- Click the Data tab and select the required dimension and measures.
In the Dimensions list, find and add area to the Geo Location (Dim.) field. In the Measures list, find and add order_amt, profit_amt, and shipping_cost to the Colorscale (Mea.) field.Note Ensure that you have converted the data type of area from String to Geo. For information about how to convert the data type of a dimension, see Change field types.
- Click Update. The chart is updated.
- Click the Style tab and configure parameters in the Basic Information, Chart Style, Functionality, and Series Settings sections.
- Click Save in the upper-right corner. In the Save Dashboard dialog box that appears, enter a name for the dashboard and click OK.
Configure parameters on the Style tab
- In the Basic Information section, configure Show Title and Description, Show Link, and Style Template.
Note If you want the user to be redirected to a report or an external page, select Show Link and specify Link Text and Link Address.
- In the Chart Style section, specify Display Place Names, Map Color, and Legend Configuration.
- Display Place Names: You can select Smart or All. If you want to display a large number of place names, we recommended that you select Smart.
- Map Color: You can specify the color range, colors, and transparency in this area.
- Legend Configuration: You can select Ranking or Distribution.
- In the Functionality section, specify Statistics settings, which includes Display range and Display content.
Note If you select Country map for Display range, six countries appear in the Display content drop-down list: China, Singapore, Germany, Mexico, Japan, and United States.
- In the Series Settings section, specify Display Name and Number Formatting for each measure.
Delete a chart
Perform the following steps to delete a chart:
- Click the icon in the upper-right corner of a chart.
- Select Delete.