This topic introduces bubble maps, including an overview and an application example. This topic also describes how to configure the style of a bubble map and how to delete a bubble map.
A bubble map uses a map proﬁle as its background and shows the distribution of data metrics in a country or region by using bubbles of different sizes. For example, you can use a bubble map to display tourist arrivals of different destinations or the average incomes in different regions.
A bubble map consists of geographic locations and bubbles of different sizes. Geographic locations are determined by a dimension, such as province. The bubble size is determined by one or more measures, such as shipping cost and order quantity.
You can specify only one dimension for geographic locations. The data type of the dimension must be Geo. The dimension can be area, province, or city. You can specify one to five measures for the bubble size.
Scenario: Compare the order quantities and profits in multiple provinces. The following example uses the company_sales_record dataset to describe the application of a bubble map.
- In the left-side navigation pane of the Workspace page, click Datasets.
On the Datasets page that appears, find the company_sales_record dataset, and click the icon in the Actions column.Note If you are using Quick BI Enterprise Standard, select Standard or Full Screen as the dashboard type. In this example, Standard is selected.
- Click the icon. A bubble map appears in the display area of the dashboard.
- Click the Data tab and select the required dimension and measures.
In the Dimensions list, find and add province to the Geo Location (Dim.) field. In the Measures list, find and add order_number and profit_amt to the Bubble Size (Mea.) field.Note Ensure that you have converted the data type of province from String to Geo. For information about how to convert the data type of a dimension, see Change field types.
- Click Update. The chart is updated.
- Click the Style tab and configure parameters in the Basic Information, Chart Style, Functionality, and Series Settings sections.
- Click Save in the upper-right corner. In the Save Dashboard dialog box that appears, enter a name for the dashboard and click OK.
Configure parameters on the Style tab
- In the Basic Information section, configure Show Title and Description, Show Link, and Style Template.
Note If you want the user to be redirected to a report or an external page, select Show Link and specify Link Text and Link Address.
- In the Chart Style section, configure Display Place Names, Map Configuration, Bubble Color, Bubble Shape,
Bubble Size, and Legend Configuration.
- Display Place Names: Select Smart or All. If the number of place names is excessively large, we recommend that you select Smart.
- Map Configuration: Specify the color and transparency of the map.
- Supported bubble shapes are shown in the following figure.
- Bubble Color: Specify the color and transparency of bubbles.
- Bubble Size: Set the bubble size.
- Legend Configuration: Select Ranking or Distribution.
- In the Functionality section, configure Statistics settings, including Display range and Display content.
Note If you select Country map for Display range, six countries appear in the Display content drop-down list: China, Singapore, Germany, Mexico, Japan, and United States.
- In the Series Settings section, specify Display Name and Number Formatting for each measure.
Delete a chart
Perform the following steps to delete a chart:
- Click the icon in the upper-right corner of a chart.
- Select Delete.