This topic introduces pie charts, including an overview and an application example. This topic also describes how to configure the style of a pie chart and how to delete a pie chart.
A pie chart shows a series of data with different colors or patterns. If a pie chart has more than 12 slices, the colors of the slices are repeated. A pie chart is used to show the ratio of multiple values in proportion to their total amount, for example, the ratio of the income tax to the total personal income, or the ratio of the sales volume of a car brand to the total sales volume.
A pie chart consists of slices. The slice labels are determined by a dimension, such as area or product_type. The slice angles are determined by a measure, such as order quantity or profit.
Sample pie chart
Scenario: Compare the shipping costs of different regions. The following example uses the company_sales_record dataset to describe the application of a pie chart.
- In the left-side navigation pane of the Workspace page, click Datasets.
- On the Datasets page that appears, find the company_sales_record dataset, and click the icon in the Actions column.
If you are using Quick BI Enterprise Standard, select Standard or Full Screen as the dashboard type. In this example, Standard is selected.
- Click the icon. A pie chart appears in the display area of the dashboard.
- Click the Data tab and select the required dimensions and measure.
- In the Dimensions list, find and add area to the Labels (Dim.) field.
- In the Measures list, find and add shipping_cost to the Central Angle (Mea.) field.
- If you want to display a large volume of data in the pie chart, you can specify the Filters field to display specific types of data. For example, you can use the Filters field to specify an order quantity range from 50,000 to 100,000. The pie chart then displays only the cities whose order quantities are within this specific range.
- Click Update. The chart is updated.
- Click the Style tab, and configure parameters in the Basic Information, Chart Type, and Series Settings sections.
- Click the Advanced tab, and configure Auto Refresh, Filter Interaction Hyperlink for the pie chart.
- Click Save in the upper-right corner. In the Save Dashboard dialog box that appears, enter a name for the dashboard and click OK.
Configure parameters on the Style tab
- In the Basic Information section, configure Show Title and Description, Show Link, and Visual Style.
Parameter Description Show Title and Description
- Title: You can customize the title of the pie chart. We recommend that you name the chart in the format of Chart type-Chart name.
- : You can set the font color of the title.
- Description: You can enter a description for the title.
Show Link If you want the user to be redirected to a report or an external page, select Show Link and specify Link Text and Link Address. Visual Style The supported visual styles are Pie and Ring.
- In the Chart Type section, configure the following parameters for the pie chart: Show label, Radius ratio, Merge Data into Others Category, and Show Legend.
Parameter Description Show label The supported labels are Dimension, measure, and percentage. You can select one or more labels at the same time. Radius ratio You can set the radius ratio of the pie chart. Merge Data into Others Category If you select this option and specify the number of slices that you want to retain, the pie chart displays other slices as one part named "other."Note The retained slices are arranged clockwise from the first quadrant based on their weights. For example, if the number of slices that you want to retain is set to 3, the top three slices are separately displayed and other slices are merged to form the fourth slice. The label name of the fourth slice is "other". The color of the fourth slice is the color of the data that accounts for the largest proportion in the slice. Show Legend The following figure shows the supported legend positions.
- In the Series Settings section:
- Set Display Name for the measure.
- If Number Formatting is set to Customer, you can specify the display mode for the measure. The supported display modes are
Number and Percentage. You can also set the Decimal parameter.
Note Number Formatting is set to AutoFit by default.
Delete the pie chart
To delete the pie chart, follow these steps:
- Click the icon in the upper-right corner of the chart.
- Select Delete.