This topic introduces word clouds, including an overview and an application example. This topic also describes how to configure the style of a word cloud and how to delete a word cloud.
A word cloud visualizes the frequency of words. It is best suited to create user personas and tags.
A word cloud consists of words of different sizes. Words are determined by a dimension, such as customer name or product name. Word sizes are determined by a measure, such as profit or unit price.
The following example uses the company_sales_record dataset to describe the application of a word cloud.
- In the left-side navigation pane of the Workspace page, click Datasets.
- On the Datasets page that appears, find the company_sales_record dataset, and click the icon in the Actions column.
If you are using Quick BI Enterprise Standard, select Standard or Full Screen as the dashboard type. In this example, Standard is selected.
- Click the icon. A word cloud appears in the display area of the dashboard.
- Click the Data tab and select the required dimension and measure.
- In the dimensions list, find and add city to the Word (Dim.) field.
- In the measures list, find and add order_number to the Word Size (Mea.) field.
- If you want to display a large volume of data in the word cloud, you can specify the Filters field to display specific types of data. For example, you can use the Filters field to specify an order cost range from 10,000 to 50,000. The word cloud then displays only orders whose costs are within this specific range.
- Click Update. The chart is updated.
- Click the Style tab, and change the chart name, font color, and word cloud shape, and specify whether
to show the link.
- Click the Advanced tab, and configure Auto Refresh and Filter Interaction.
- Click Save in the upper-right corner. In the Save Dashboard dialog box that appears, enter a name for the dashboard and click OK.
Configure parameters on the Style tab
- In the Basic Information section, configure Show Title and Description and Show Link.
Parameter Description Show Title and Description
- Title: You can customize the title of the word cloud. We recommend that you name the chart in the format of Chart type-Chart name.
- : You can set the font color of the title.
- Description: You can enter a description for the title.
Show Link If you want the user to be redirected to a report or an external page, select Show Link and specify Link Text and Link Address.
- In the Style Settings section, configure Word Cloud Shape and Display Text Vertically.
Parameter Description Word Cloud Shape The supported word cloud shapes include:
Display Text Vertically The text in the word cloud is displayed horizontally by default. After you select this option, the text is displayed vertically.
- In the Series Settings section:
- Change the display name of each measure.
- If Number Formatting is set to Customer, you can specify the display mode of each measure. The supported display modes are
Number and Percentage. You can also set the Decimal parameter.
Note Number Formatting is set to AutoFit by default.
Delete the word cloud
To delete the word cloud, follow these steps:
- Click the icon in the upper-right corner of the word cloud.
- Select Delete.