You can use a gateway cluster to achieve load balancing and security isolation and submit jobs to your E-MapReduce (EMR) cluster. This topic describes how to create a gateway cluster.
- Go to the Cluster Management page.
- Log on to the Alibaba Cloud EMR console.
- In the top navigation bar, select the region where your cluster resides and select a resource group based on your business requirements.
- Click the Cluster Management tab.
- In the upper-right corner of the Cluster Management page, click CreateGateway.
- On the Create Gateway page, configure the parameters.
Section Parameter Description Basic Information Cluster Name The name of the gateway cluster. The name must be 1 to 64 characters in length and can contain only letters, digits, hyphens (-), and underscores (_). Assign Public IP Address Specifies whether the gateway cluster is assigned an elastic IP address. Password and Key Pair
- Password: the password used to log on to the gateway cluster. The password must be 8 to 30
characters in length and must contain uppercase letters, lowercase letters, digits,
and special characters.
The following special characters are supported:
- Key Pair: the name of the key pair used to log on to the gateway cluster. If no key pair is
created, click Create Key Pair next to this field to go to the SSH Key Pairs page of the Elastic Compute Service
(ECS) console and create a key pair.
Keep the .pem private key file secure. After a gateway cluster is created, the public key is automatically bound to the ECS instance. When you log on to the gateway cluster by using SSH, you must enter the private key in the private key file.
- Subscription: You are charged only once per subscription period. The unit price of a subscription cluster is lower than that of a pay-as-you-go cluster of the same specifications. A longer subscription period brings larger discounts.
- Pay-As-You-Go: You are charged for the hours during which a cluster is running.
Cluster Configuration Associated Cluster The cluster associated with the gateway cluster. The gateway cluster submits jobs to this cluster. Zone The zone where the associated cluster resides. Network Type The network type of the associated cluster. VPC The virtual private cloud (VPC) to which the associated cluster belongs. VSwitch The vSwitch you want the gateway cluster to use. Select the vSwitch that corresponds to the zone and VPC. Security Group Name The name of the security group to which the associated cluster belongs. Advanced Settings Permission Settings The RAM roles that allow applications running in a cluster to access other Alibaba Cloud services. You can use the default RAM roles.
- EMR Role: The value is fixed to AliyunEMRDefaultRole and cannot be changed. This RAM role allows a cluster to access other Alibaba Cloud services, such as ECS and Object Storage Service (OSS).
- ECS Role: You can also assign an application role to a cluster. Then, EMR applies for a temporary AccessKey pair when applications running on the compute nodes of that cluster access other Alibaba Cloud services, such as OSS. This way, you do not need to manually enter an AccessKey pair. You can grant the access permissions of the application role on specific Alibaba Cloud services based on your business requirements.
Bootstrap Actions Optional. You can configure bootstrap actions to run custom scripts before a cluster starts. For more information, see Bootstrap actions. Instance Gateway Instance The available instance types in the current zone. For more information, see Instance families.
- System Disk Type: the type of the system disk you want the gateway cluster to use. System disks are classified into ultra disks, standard SSDs, and ESSDs. The system disk types that are available for you to create a gateway cluster depend on the selected region and instance type. By default, the system disks are released after the relevant cluster is released.
- Disk Size: the size of the system disk. Unit: GB. Valid values: 40 to 2048. Default value: 300.
- Data Disk Type: the type of data disks you want the gateway cluster to use. Data disks are classified into ultra disks, standard SSDs, and ESSDs. The data disk types that are available for you to create a gateway cluster depend on the selected region and instance type. By default, the data disks are released after the relevant cluster is released.
- Disk Size: the size of a data disk. Unit: GB. Valid values: 200 to 4000. Default value: 300.
- Count: the number of data disks. Valid values: 1 to 10.
- Password: the password used to log on to the gateway cluster. The password must be 8 to 30 characters in length and must contain uppercase letters, lowercase letters, digits, and special characters.
- Read and select E-MapReduce Service Terms and click Create. The gateway cluster that you created appears in the cluster list and its state changes from Initializing to Idle a few minutes later.