If you select Enterprise Distributed Application Service (EDAS) Container 3.x.x as the application runtime environment and Elastic Compute Service (ECS) or Swarm cluster as the cluster type, you need to install Log Collector in advance to use the application monitoring and auto scaling functions of EDAS. Log Collector is not needed when you are using native Spring Cloud and native Dubbo with the correct runtime environment or when you choose Container Service Kubernetes as the cluster type.
A lot of data are pulled from instances to the services provided by EDAS. This requires that the EDAS cluster be able to connect to the relevant instances.
Alibaba Cloud provides two types of network environment: classic network and Virtual Private Cloud (VPC).
- In the classic network, if the firewall and security groups do not impose port (8182) restrictions, external servers can directly connect to instances.
- In the VPC network, instances are naturally isolated from external servers. EDAS provides a special solution for VPCs: Log Collector.
Log Collector has a server and client. SProxy is the Log Collector client installed on your application instance. The diagram is as follows:
Some instances in EDAS now support the automatic installation of Log Collector, while other stances only support manual installation.
An instance does not support the automatic installation of Log Collector, if any of the following conditions is met:
- The instance was created before December 1, 2017.
- The instance is a classic-network instance that is imported to a classic-network cluster.
- The instance is not running (it is stopped, starting, or stopping).
- The instance is a Windows instance or does not support simple shell commands.
- The instance is not imported from an ECS cluster.
Install Log Collector automatically
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- In the VPC list, find the VPC where you want to install Log Collector and click Install Log Collector in the Actions column.
- If the instance supports the automatic installation of Log Collector, you can click
Automatic Installation on the right side of the instance in the Install Log Collector dialog box.
Wait a moment and you can see Installation Completed.
Install Log Collector manually
- Select the instance where you want to install Log Collector, according to steps 1 to 3 in Install Log Collector automatically.
- If the instance does not support the automatic installation of the Log Collector, click Manual Installation.
- In the Install Log Collector dialog box, click Copy to copy the script for the instance.
- Log on to the instance as root, paste the copied installation script, then press Enter to execute.
- After the installation is complete, manually execute the netstat -ant|grep 8002 command.
- If a connection is established, the Log Collector installation is successful.
- If no connection is established, the installation encounters a problem. Submit a ticket to seek help from EDAS Customer Services.