Domain name transfer is the act of transferring a domain name between registrars, generally from its current registrar to Alibaba Cloud, for management.
Alibaba Cloud charges no fees for transferring a domain name to Alibaba Cloud. However, in accordance with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) , the destination registrar of the domain name transfer must extend the expiration date of the domain name by one year. For example, a domain name that originally expires on August 1, 2016 will expire on August 1, 2017 after the transfer. This means that you must pay a one-year renewal fee when you transfer a domain name to Alibaba Cloud. That is, the domain transfer-in price is the same as the one-year renewal price.
- If you have renewed a domain name for the maximum period of 10 years, the expiration date of this domain name is not extended after this domain name is transferred to Alibaba Cloud.
- If your domain name has been renewed with your original registrar upon its expiration, we recommend that you wait for at least 45 days after the renewal date and then transfer this domain name to Alibaba Cloud. Otherwise, your original registrar will return the renewal fee to you after the transfer and your new registrar will collect a transfer fee according to current regulations. Under this circumstance, the expiration date of your domain name cannot be extended by one year.
- The domain name is an existing domain name and does not contain any illegal characters.
- The domain name has been registered with a registrar other than Alibaba Cloud.
- The domain name has been registered for more than 60 days.
- The domain name is not in the clientUpdateProhibited, serverUpdateProhibited or clientHold status.
- It has been more than 60 days since the last transfer of the domain name.
- The domain name is not in dispute, under arbitration, or restricted by a court of law.
- You must ensure that the domain name registrant's email address is correct and valid before you transfer the domain name to Alibaba Cloud.
- A registrant profile template for which real-name authentication has been completed must be in place before a .cn domain name is transferred to Alibaba Cloud. For more information, see Real-name authentication for CNNIC templates.
For more information about transfer-in procedures, see Transfer a domain name to Alibaba Cloud.