A database is a set of data that is stored in an organized manner and can be shared by a number of users. A database provides minimal redundancy and is independent of applications. A database can be regarded as an electronic filing cabinet on which you can perform operations such as add, query, update, and delete data.
Alibaba Cloud provides the high-availability ApsaraDB RDS database architecture. ApsaraDB RDS may not meet the requirements of some production environments. In this case, other types of databases such as Oracle and SQL Server are required. You can build a database on an Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instance.
- Oracle provides a high degree of hardware stability. It can run on a variety of hardware and operating system platforms, from desktop computers to mainframes and supercomputers. Oracle supports symmetric multiprocessors, cluster multiprocessors, and large-scale processors, and works with multiple languages.
- Oracle is a multi-user system that can automatically recover from system failures in batch processing or online environments. Developer/2000 is a complete software development tool developed by Oracle that consists of an interactive application generator, report printing software, word processing software, and a centralized data dictionary. You can use these components to generate your own applications.
- Oracle presents data in two-dimensional tables, and provides Structured Query Language (SQL) to implement basic database management features such as data query, modification, definition, and control.
- Data in Oracle databases can be smoothly migrated. The communication feature provided by Oracle allows programs on microcomputers to receive data from or transfer data to Oracle databases on minicomputers and mainframes.
- Oracle is a large-scale database system. It is suitable for small, medium-sized, and large application systems. It can serve both the client and server sides of server systems.
- SQL Server
SQL Server is a relational database system provided by Microsoft. It is a scalable, high-performance database management system suitable for distributed client and server computing. SQL Server works with Windows New Technology (Windows NT) to provide a transaction-based enterprise-level information management solution. Versions earlier than SQL Server 2016 can run only on Windows.
MySQL is an open source relational database management system (RDBMS) and uses the most common database management language SQL. MySQL databases can be used across platforms such as Linux and Windows.