If you no longer require a key pair, you can delete it. Note that deleting a key pair is irreversible. Existing instances that have used the key pair are not affected. However, the deleted key pair name remains associated to the instance. Exercise caution when performing this action.
- If you delete a key pair that is still attached to an instance, its name cannot be used to create or import a key pair again. Otherwise, the error message "The key pair already exists".
- If you delete a key pair that had never been attached to an instance, its name can be used create or import a key pair again.
To delete one or more key pairs, follow these steps:
- Log on to the ECS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click .
- Select one or more key pairs.
- Click Delete.