What is Virtual Border Router?
Virtual Border Router (VBR) is the mapping of your leased line in VPC. It can be regarded as a VRouter between Customer Premise Equipment (CPE) and VPC, and acts as the forwarding bridge between a local data center and a VPC.
VBR includes a route table. You can manage traffic forwarding in VBR through configuring route entries in VBR. VBR provides the following functions:
- Exchange data packets as the intermediate VRouter between VPC and the local data center.
- Decide the interface mode of the leased line: Layer-3 router interface mode or VLAN-based layer-3 subinterface mode.
- Recognize or attach VLAN tags in layer-3 subinterface mode.
- Support BGP dynamic routing.
- Each route table supports up to 48 custom route entries.
- Source address based policy routing is not supported.
- Log on to the Express Connect console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click .
- In the upper-right corner, click Create VBR. Configure the VBR according to the following information and click Confirm Creation.
Configuration Description Object
- If you want to create a VBR for the leased line under another account, select Other Account.
- If you want to create a VBR for the leased line under this account, select This Account.
Name Enter the name of the VBR. Description Enter the description of the VBR. Leased Line Select the leased line to be connected to the VBR. VLAN ID Enter the VLAN ID of the VBR, in the range of 0-2999.
- VLAN When the VLAN ID is 0, the physical switch port of the VBR uses the layer-3 router interface mode instead of the VLAN mode. In the layer-3 router interface mode, each leased line corresponds to a VBR.
- When the VLAN ID is [1-2999], the physical switch port of the VBR uses the VLAN-based layer-3 subinterface mode. In the layer-3 subinterface mode, each VLAN ID corresponds to a VBR. In this mode, the leased line of the VBR can connect VPCs under multiple accounts. VBRs of different VLANs are isolated from one another.
For example, a company has multiple subdivisions or subsidiaries. Each subdivision or subsidiary has an independent Alibaba Cloud account, and each account has an independent VPC. If the company applies for a leased line, it needs to plan a VLAN ID for each subdivision or subsidiary. When creating router interfaces, the company uses VLAN IDs to identify the subsidiaries or subdivisions to use the leased line.
Circuit Code The carrier that builds the leased line for you will provide a circuit code for your leased line. Enter the circuit code to facilitate maintenance. IP Address
- Alibaba Cloud-Side: Enter the IP address used as the gateway to connect to the local data center.
- Customer-Side: Enter the IP address used as the gateway to connect to VPC.
- Subnet Mask: The subnet mask of the Alibaba Cloud-side IP address and the customer-side IP address. Because only two IP addresses are required, you can enter a long subnet mask.