Data modeling is used to visualize data and allows you to quickly identify and extract information. Furthermore, it helps you to make correct decisions based on the trend represented by the data.
The basic process of data modeling is shown in the following figure.
- Add data sources: a required step. Operations on datasets, workbooks, dashboards, and portals are all based on data sources. For more information about data sources, see Data sources management overview.
- Create datasets: a required step. You can create a dataset by using any one of the following three methods:
- Tables in a data source: You can create dashboards and workbooks based on datasets. For more information about operations on datasets, see Datasets management overview.
- Local files: You can only create datasets based on local files in Personal Workspace. You can create datasets based on CSV files uploaded from your local disk. For more information about operations on CSV files, see Upload local files.
- Custom SQL queries: You can create datasets based on custom SQL queries in MaxCompute. For more information about operations on custom SQL queries, see SQL overview.