This topic describes the scenarios of using host monitoring, its features, and how to use host monitoring.
- Monitor hosts in a hybrid cloud
CloudMonitor uses the CloudMonitor agent to collect monitoring data from hosts. You can install the CloudMonitor agent on both Alibaba Cloud Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instances and non-ECS hosts to collect monitoring data from hosts in a hybrid cloud.
- Monitor hosts of an enterprise
Host monitoring allows you to group hosts in different regions to an application group for business-based host management. In addition, host monitoring allows you to manage alert rules by application group. You can apply one alert rule to all hosts of an application group. This improves the O&M efficiency and overall management experience.
|Diverse metrics||After you install the CloudMonitor agent, you can collect data of more than 30 metrics. For more information, see Metrics.|
|High collection frequency||Data of key metrics are collected every second. All metrics are reported at an interval of 15s. Therefore, the minimum interval between the data points in a monitoring chart is 15s.|
|Business-level process monitoring||Host monitoring collects statistical data of active processes, including the CPU usage, memory usage, and the number of opened files. This helps you obtain information about the resource allocation on hosts. For more information, see Process monitoring.|
|Application group-based management||You can manage hosts from different regions and configure alert rules by application group. This significantly reduces the cost of monitoring management.|
|Alert service||You can set alert rules for metrics and use multiple notification methods, including emails and DingTalk chatbots. For more information, see Alarm service.|
- Log on to the CloudMonitor console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Host Monitoring.
- On the Instances tab of the Host Monitoring page, install the CloudMonitor agent on target hosts.You can install the CloudMonitor agent on hosts in one of the following ways:
Note For more information about how to install the Java agent, see CloudMonitor Java agent introduction.
- Click Aliyun ECS install or Not Aliyun ecs install above the instance list. Select the host type, region, and operating system and follow the instructions in the console to install the CloudMonitor agent.
- Select multiple hosts on which you want to install the CloudMonitor agent and click Batch Install. You can view the installation status on the Instances tab.
After 3 minutes, find the target host and click Monitoring Charts in the Actions column to view the monitoring data of the host.