After activating Alibaba Cloud WAF, you must create a website configuration in the WAF console to associate your website with the WAF instance. In this step, you add a website configuration by using the DNS configurations in Alibaba Cloud DNS.
When you are creating a website configuration, WAF accesses your A record configurations in Alibaba Cloud DNS and lists all website domains and their origin server IP addresses. You can simply select the domains for which you want to enable WAF protection and let WAF do the rest of configurations. In this way, WAF also helps update the DNS settings (Step 2) and complete traffic redirection.
- The domain to be protected is hosted at Alibaba Cloud DNS. Besides, its DNS settings must include at least one valid A record.
If you do not use Alibaba Cloud DNS, see Website configuration to manually add the website configuration.
- (For Mainland China region) The website is granted an ICP license by the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT).
- (For HTTPS-enabled websites) You have access to a valid SSL certificate and private key of the website, or you have uploaded the certificate to Alibaba Cloud SSL Certificate Service.
- Log on to the Alibaba Cloud WAF console.
- On the top of the page, select the region: Mainland China, International.
- On the Add Domain.
WAF automatically lists all domain names that have an A record configured in Alibaba Cloud DNS of the current Alibaba Cloud account. If no A record has been created in Alibaba Cloud DNS, the Please choose your domain page does not appear. In this case, we recommend that you manually create a website configuration. For more information, see Website configuration.
- On the Please choose your domain page, check the Domain Name for which you want to enable WAF protection and the Protocol Type.
- (Optional) If the protocol type includes HTTPS, you must verify certificate first to add the configuration.
Note Alternatively, do not select HTTPS here, but edit the website configuration and upload the certificate after you create the configuration. For more information, see Update HTTPS certificate.
- Click Verify Certificate.
- In the Verify Certificate dialog box, upload the certificate and private key.
- If the certificate has been hosted in the Alibaba Cloud SSL Certificate Service console, you can click Select existing certificate in the Verity Certificate dialog box and select it to upload.
- Manual upload. Click Manual upload, enter the Certificate name, and paste the text content of the certificate and private key respectively to the Certificate file and Private key file boxes.
For more information, see Update HTTPS certificate.
- Click Verify to upload.
- Click Add domain protection now.
After adding the website configuration, WAF automatically updates the DNS settings (CNAME record) of the domain name to redirect web requests to WAF for inspection. The whole process takes about 10 to 15 minutes.Note If you are prompted to manually change the DNS settings, you must perform Step 2: Update DNS settings to redirect web traffic to WAF.
- On the DNS Resolution Status.
page, view the newly added domain name and its
- Normal indicates that Alibaba Cloud WAF has been successfully deployed for the website. Go on to perform Step 3: Configure WAF protection policies.
- Exception indicates that you must wait for a while or check the DNS settings at your DNS service provider.