After you activate Web Application Firewall (WAF), you need to add the website configuration of the website that needs protection in the WAF console. This topic describes how WAF automatically adds a website configuration when you use the DNS proxy mode to configure WAF.
When you configure WAF by using the DNS proxy mode, WAF can automatically read the A records that you have created on Alibaba Cloud DNS, the domain name of the website, and the origin server IP address to automatically add a website configuration. After the website configuration is added, WAF automatically updates the DNS record of the domain name. For more information, see Step 2: Update the DNS settings.
- The DNS records of the website are managed by Alibaba Cloud DNS, and at least one
A record is valid.
If you cannot host your domains on Alibaba Cloud DNS, you must manually add website configurations. For more information, see Website configuration.
- (Mainland China regions) You have obtained an ICP license for the website.
- (HTTPS-based websites) You have obtained the HTTPS certificate and the private key file of the website, or the HTTPS certificate is managed by Alibaba Cloud SSL Certificates Service.
- Log on to the WAF console.
- On the top of the page, select Mainland China or International.
- Choose DNS Proxy Mode. and select
- Click Add Domain.
WAF automatically lists the domain names that have an A record configured on Alibaba Cloud DNS under the current Alibaba Cloud account. If you have not created an A record on Alibaba Cloud DNS, the Please choose your domain page will not appear. You can manually add the website configuration by following the procedure described in Website configuration.
- On the Please choose your domain page, choose the domain name and the protocol type for the website.
- (Optional) If you choose HTTPS, you must verify the certificate before you add the website configuration.
Note Alternatively, do not select HTTPS. After you have added the website configuration, upload the HTTPS certificate by following the procedure described in Update HTTPS certificates
- Click Verify Certificate.
- In the Verify Certificate dialog box, upload the certificate and private key file.
- If you have hosted your certificates on Alibaba Cloud SSL Certificate Service, click Select Existing Certificate in the Verify Certificate dialog box, and select the certificate that is associated with the domain name.
- Manually upload the certificate. Click Manual Upload, enter the certificate name, and copy the text content of the certificate and private key files to the Certificate File and Private Key File fields respectively.
For more information, see Update HTTPS certificates.
- Click Verify to verify the uploaded certificate.
- Click Add domain protection now.
After you have added the website configuration, WAF automatically updates the CNAME record of the domain to redirect requests sent to your website to WAF for monitoring. This operation will take 10 to 15 minutes.Note If you are required to add DNS records manually, follow the procedure described in Step 2: Update the DNS settings to complete the configuration.
- You can choose DNS resolution status column.
to view the domain name that you have added and the DNS status in the
- Normal indicates that you have successfully configured WAF for your website. You can follow the procedure described in Step 3: Configure WAF protection policies to specify protection policies.
- Exception may be displayed after you have added the website configuration. Wait a few seconds and check the DNS status again, or check whether the DNS settings are configured correctly at your DNS service provider.