This topic describes how to resize a cloud disk. If you resize a cloud disk, you need to restart the instance through the ECS console, or by calling the API RebootInstance for the operation to take effect.
- For detailed information about the limits of system disk resizing and data disk resizing, see Disk resizing overview.
- Resizing a cloud disk does not extend the file system; it only extends the storage capacity. Therefore, you need to allocate storage space after you resize a cloud disk. For more information, see What to do next.
- Cloud disks that are in use and are attached to Running or Stopped instances
- Basic cloud disks, ultra disks, SSD cloud disks, and ESSD cloud disks
- NTFS file system (for Windows instances)
- Cloud disks whose snapshot is being created
- Cloud disks of Subscription instances that are included in the remaining billing cycle after such instances are renewed for configuration downgrade
- System disks of Windows Server 2003 instances
Create a snapshot to back up your data.
To resize a cloud disk in the ECS console, follow these steps:
- Log on to the ECS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- Select the target region.
- Locate the target cloud disk, and then choose Actions column. in the
- Set the Capacity after resizing.
Note The capacity after resizing cannot be less than the current capacity.
- Confirm the price, read and confirm you agree to the ECS Service Terms by selecting the check box, and then click Confirm to resize.
- Complete the payment.
- Use the ECS console or call the API (RebootInstance) to restart the instance for the settings to take effect.
Related API: You can also call the API ResizeDisk to resize the cloud disk.
What to do next
After you resize a cloud disk, you can perform the following operations as needed.
|Cloud disk type||Cloud disk that is not attached or partitioned||Cloud disk that is attached but not partitioned||Cloud disk that is attached and partitioned|
If your cloud disk is in the Available state, the resizing settings take effect immediately after you complete the payment. You can:
|You can perform the following operations as needed:
Partition and format the cloud disk and extend the file system: