EDAS provides the alarm function to notify users of online problems when resource usage exceeds the limit. Based on policies configured by users and data collected in the background, EDAS checks whether the resource usage limit is exceeded. If the limit is exceeded, a text message or an email is sent to specified contacts.
Note: Currently, EDAS only provides SMS and email notification and does not support custom notification.
Follow these steps:
Log on to the EDAS console, select Applications Management > Applications in the left-side navigation pane, and click the name of the application from the application list.
Select Alarm and Notification > Alarm Rules in the left-side navigation pane and click Create Rule in the upper-right corner.
Enter relevant information in the Create Rule page.
Rule Name: Name of the alarm rule, which can contain numbers, letters, and underscores (_). Use an understandable name.
Monitoring Target: Create comparison policies based on metrics (basic monitoring, HTTP, HSF, and application container) and the configured threshold. You can add more than one target as needed.
Trigger Conditions: Select Any One of the Indicators or All Indicators.
- Any One of the Indicators: An alarm is triggered when any of the indicators of the monitored object meets the alarm rules.
- All Indicators: An alarm is triggered when all of the indicators of the monitored object meet the alarm rules.
Statistical Cycle: It can be set to 1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, or 1 hour. A false alarm might be generated when the system encounters transient jitter, for example, when CPU usage is high during service startup but recovers to the normal range within 2 minutes. To avoid false alarms, you can select a statistical period to allow alarm trigger only when alarm rules are continuously satisfied within this period. For example, if you select the 5-minute statistical period for the metric “CPU usage above 30%”, then EDAS determines an exception occurs when the CPU usage of the system exceeds 30% for 5 consecutive minutes.
- Retries Before Alarm: The number of consecutive statistical cycles when alarm policies are satisfied that are required to trigger an alarm. Optional values include 1, 3, and 5.
Alarm rules take affect once created. To disable an a rule, select it from the rule list and click “Delete”. The rule is obsolete immediately.
Follow these steps:
- Log on to the EDAS console,select Applications Management > Applications in the left-side menu bar, and click the name of the application in the application list.
- Select Notification Alert > Alarm Contacts on the left-side menu bar and click Add Alarm Contacts in the upper-right corner.
- Select the contact from the contact list and click OK.
- Alarm Contact Source: You can configure to send alarms to the contacts that have a primary and sub-account relationship with the current account. Details are as follows:
- Other Alibaba Cloud accounts that are bound as sub-accounts to the primary account
- RAM sub-accounts with EDAS logon history
- Contact Info (Email Address and Mobile Number): By default, emails and contacts are obtained from Alibaba Cloud. For privacy protection, the contact information is only available after logon. If you want to receive notifications using a mobile number other than the one registered at Alibaba Cloud, make modifications on Personal Information page.
To add an employee that has never used EDAS as an alarm contact, following these steps. Assume that the current EDAS primary account is email@example.com and the account to be added is firstname.lastname@example.org:
Add a RAM sub-account:
Log on to the Alibaba Cloud console with the account email@example.com and select Products & Services > RAM to go to the RAM Console.
Click Users in the left-side navigation pane to go to the RAM sub-account page, click Create User in the upper-right corner, and fill in employee information to create a sub-account (assume that the employee name is “employee”).
Log on to EDAS with the sub-account and modify information.
Log on to Alibaba Cloud with the employee RAM sub-account by clicking the link provided in RAM, and select EDAS to go to the EDAS console.
Select Accounts > Personal Information in the left-side navigation pane and enter your mobile number and email address.
After relevant information is modified, follow the steps in the Add alarm contacts section to add the employee to the alarm contact list.
After an alert is generated, the system sends the alert to contacts while recording the alert.
- Log on to the EDAS console, select Applications Management > Applications in the left-side navigation pane, and select the expected application from the application list.
- Select Alarm and Notification > Alarm Records on the left-side menu bar.
Alarm records from the past 10 days are displayed. After an alarm is cleared, a notification is generated and sent to contacts by means of text message and email.