This topic describes how to control access to your ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance. This allows only the specified external devices to access your RDS instance.
Whitelists make your RDS instance more secure and do not interrupt the operation of your RDS instance during configuration. We recommend that you maintain whitelists on a regular basis.
Precautions for configuring an IP address whitelist
- You can modify or clear the IP address whitelist labeled default. However, you cannot delete this IP address whitelist.
- Up to 200 IP address whitelists are allowed per RDS instance.
- Up to 1,000 IP addresses and Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR) blocks are allowed per RDS instance. If you want to add a large number of IP addresses, we recommend that you combine these IP addresses into CIDR blocks, such as 10.10.10.0/24. The length of the IP address prefix ranges from 1 bits to 32 bits. For example, /24 indicates that the length of the prefix is 24 bits. For more information, see CIDR block FAQ.
- When you access an Alibaba Cloud service, the service automatically creates an IP
address whitelist that contains the required IP address on your RDS instance. For
example, Alibaba Cloud Data Management (DMS) creates an IP address whitelist named ali_dms_group, and Alibaba Cloud Database Autonomy Service (DAS) creates an IP address whitelist named hdm_security_ips. Do not modify or delete these IP address whitelists. If you modify or delete these
IP address whitelists, the related services cannot access your RDS instance.
Note Do not add your own IP address to these IP address whitelists. If you add your own IP address to these IP address whitelists, your IP address will be overwritten by the updated IP addresses of the related services. If your IP address is overwritten, your workloads are interrupted.
- Log on to the ApsaraDB for RDS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Instances. In the top navigation bar, select the region where your RDS instance resides.
- Find your RDS instance and click its ID.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Data Security.
- On the Whitelist Settings tab, click Edit to the right of the IP address whitelist labeled default.Note You can also click Create Whitelist to create an IP address whitelist.
- In the Edit Whitelist dialog box, enter the required IP addresses or CIDR blocks in the IP Addresses field
and click OK. Note
- After you add IP addresses or CIDR blocks to the IP address whitelist labeled default, the system deletes the default IP address 127.0.0.1.
- If you enter more than one IP address or CIDR block, you must separate them with commas (,). Example: 192.168.0.1,172.16.213.9.
- If you click Add Internal IP Addresses of ECS Instances, the IP addresses of all of the ECS instances that are created in your Alibaba Cloud account appear. Then, you can select the IP addresses that you want to add to the IP address whitelist.
- Your RDS instance has only one IP address whitelist that contains only the default
IP address 127.0.0.1 in the
The default IP address 127.0.0.1 indicates that no devices can access your RDS instance. You must add the IP addresses of the devices that require access to your RDS instance to the IP address whitelist.
- An IP address whitelist contains only one entry, 0.0.0.0.
An IP address whitelist must contain entries similar to 0.0.0.0/0.Note The 0.0.0.0/0 entry indicates that all devices can access your RDS instance. Exercise caution when you specify this entry.
- The public IP addresses that you add to a whitelist may not be the real egress IP
addresses of the devices that require access to your RDS instance. Possible reasons
are as follows:
- Public IP addresses are not static and may change.
- The tool or website you use to query public IP addresses yields inaccurate results.
- Does an IP address whitelist immediately take effect after it is configured?
No, an IP address whitelist requires about 1 minute to take effect after it is configured.
- Why do I find IP address whitelists that I did not create?
If these IP address whitelists contain private IP addresses, they are probably generated by other Alibaba Cloud services, such as DMS and DAS. In this case, these IP address whitelists do not affect your business data, and no further actions are required.
- If I disable Internet access and enable only internal network access, will my RDS
instance be exposed to security risks?
Yes, if you disable Internet access and enable only internal network access, your RDS instance will be exposed to security risks. We recommend that you change the network type of your RDS instance to VPC. In this case, only the ECS instances that reside in the same VPC as your RDS instance are granted access after the required IP addresses are added to an IP address whitelist of your RDS instance. For more information, see Change the network type of an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance
|Query IP address whitelists||Queries the IP address whitelists of an ApsaraDB for RDS instance.|
|Modify IP address whitelist||Modifies an IP address whitelist of an ApsaraDB for RDS instance.|