RDS allows you to upgrade the database version. For more information about available target versions, see options or prompts on the RDS console.
- Currently, this operation applies only to upgrades from MySQL 5.5 to MySQL 5.6 databases.
- We recommend that you firstly purchase an instance with the database version you want to upgrade to and verify its compatibility before upgrade.
- During the database upgrade process, the RDS service may flash off for about 30 seconds. To avoid the impacts on your production, we recommend that you upgrade the database at off-peak service hours. Alternatively, make sure that your application has the automatic reconnection policy.
- Log on to the RDS console.
- Select the region where the target instance is located.
- Click the ID of the target instance to enter the Basic Information page.
- In the Configuration Information area, click Upgrade Database, as shown in the following figure.
- On the Database Version Upgrade page, select the target database version and click Start Upgrade.