ApsaraDB MongoDB upgrades its backup feature on September 10, 2021. The following items are upgraded: custom backup retention period, backup frequency modification, and enabling or disabling the log backup feature. The backup feature will be officially released on September 23, 2021 and October 14, 2021 in different regions. After the official release of the backup feature, you are charged on a pay-as-you-go basis for the backup storage space that exceeds the free quota.
Release time and items
|September 10, 2021||Upgrade the backup feature.|
|September 23, 2021||Officially release the backup feature in the following regions:
China (Chengdu), China (Heyuan), China (Hohhot), China (Ulanqab), Singapore (Singapore), Japan (Tokyo), Australia (Sydney), Germany (Frankfurt), Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur), Indonesia (Jakarta), and India (Mumbai).
|October 14, 2021||Officially release the backup feature in the following regions:
China (Hangzhou), China (Shanghai), China (Qingdao), China (Beijing), China (Zhangjiakou), China (Shenzhen), China (Guangzhou), China (Hong Kong), US (Virginia), US (Silicon Valley), UK (London), and UAE (Dubai).
ApsaraDB MongoDB standalone, replica set, and sharded cluster instances.
- Custom backup retention period
The backup retention period is changed from a fixed value of 7 days to 7 to 730 days. The new default value is 30 days.
- Backup frequencyThe backup frequency is changed from one to seven backups each week to two to seven backups each week. The default value remains at seven backups each week.Note
- If your current backup frequency is one backup each week, we recommend that you change it to two or more backups each week. Two backups each week can ensure reliable data recovery, improve data security, and reduce data recovery time in extreme cases.
- After the backup frequency is changed from one to seven backups each week to two to seven backups each week, you cannot set a new backup frequency to one backup each week.
- Enable or disable log backup feature
You can enable or disable the log backup feature for replica set and sharded cluster instances. A visual list of log backup files is provided to allow you to view log backup details.
Official release of backup feature
- Official release time
The backup feature will be officially released on September 23, 2021 and October 14, 2021 in different regions. For more information, see Release time and items.
- Billing rules
The backup feature of ApsaraDB MongoDB provides a free quota for backup storage space. After the free quota is reached, you are charged on a pay-as-you-go basis. For more information, see ApsaraDB for MongoDB Pricing.New billing rules:
- Dedicated cloud disk instances: You are charged on a pay-as-you-go basis when your storage space exceeds 200% of the instance storage capacity.
- Dedicated local disk instances: You are charged on a pay-as-you-go basis when your storage space exceeds 50% of the instance storage capacity.
- Methods to reduce backup costsYou can use the following methods to reduce the backup costs.Note Each method carries risks. Select an appropriate method to reduce backup costs based on your business requirements.
Method Risk Reference Shorten backup retention period This shortens the retention period of recoverable data. Configure automatic backup for an ApsaraDB for MongoDB instance Reduce backup frequency This reduces database reliability and increases data recovery time. To ensure data security, we recommend that you back up your data twice or more a week. Disable the log backup feature The instance cannot restore data by point in time. If you require point-in-time data restoration, we recommend that you use another method to reduce the backup costs. Expand instance storage space This incurs scale-out fees in addition to increasing the backup free quota. If you want to use this method to reduce the backup costs, we recommend that you try to minimize the sum of scale-out fees and the backup fees beyond the free quota. Configuration change overview