A project is the basic unit used to perform user isolation and access control in MaxCompute. After you activate MaxCompute, you must create projects to use MaxCompute. This topic describes how to create a MaxCompute project in the MaxCompute or DataWorks console.
- DataWorks and MaxCompute are activated by using your Alibaba Cloud account or the credentials of a RAM user. The two services are deployed in the same region.
- If you want to create a MaxCompute project as a RAM user, you must obtain the credentials
of the RAM user and grant the AliyunDataWorksFullAccess permission to the RAM user.
For more information about how to create a RAM user or grant the RAM user the related permissions, see Prepare a RAM user.
RAM users have limited permissions. We recommend that you use an Alibaba Cloud account to create a MaxCompute project and grant the RAM user permissions on the MaxCompute project. For more information about the permission differences between Alibaba Cloud accounts and RAM users, see Users and roles. For more information about authorization, see Authorize users.
- Method 1 (recommended): Use the MaxCompute console to create a projectThe project management and query editing features of the MaxCompute console are implemented by DataWorks. Before you create a MaxCompute project, you must create a DataWorks workspace. DataWorks workspaces are distinguished from MaxCompute projects in the following ways:
- DataWorks workspace: Log on to the DataWorks console. In the left-side navigation pane, click Workspaces. On the Workspaces page, you can view the name of the DataWorks workspace.
- MaxCompute project: Log on to the MaxCompute console. On the Project management tab, you can view the name of your MaxCompute project and the name of the DataWorks workspace to which the project corresponds.
- Method 2: Use the DataWorks console to create a project
- After you use an Alibaba Cloud account to create a MaxCompute project, you have the operation permissions on all objects in the project. Only authorized users can access the project.
- For a MaxCompute project that is created by using a RAM user, both the RAM user and its Alibaba Cloud account have the permissions on all the objects in the project. Only authorized users can access the project.
- For a MaxCompute project that is created by using a RAM user, MaxCompute assigns the RAM user the Super_Administrator role of the project by default. This facilitates project management. If a DataWorks workspace is in standard mode, the RAM user is assigned only the Super_Administrator role of a project in the development environment.
Use the MaxCompute console to create a project
- Log on to the MaxCompute console and select a region in the top navigation bar.
- On the Project management tab, click Create project.
- In the Create Workspace panel, configure parameters to create a DataWorks workspace, and click Create project.
Section Parameter Description Basic Information Workspace Name The name of the workspace. The name must be 3 to 28 characters in length, and can contain only letters, digits, and underscores (_). It must start with a letter. Display Name The display name of the workspace. The name must be 1 to 23 characters in length, and can contain only letters, digits, and underscores (_). It must start with a letter. Mode The workspace mode. Valid values:
- Basic Mode (Production Environment Only): One DataWorks workspace corresponds to only one MaxCompute project. A workspace in basic mode cannot isolate the development environment from the production environment. In this workspace, you can perform basic data development but cannot control the data development process or resource permissions.
- Standard Mode (Development and Production Environments): One DataWorks workspace corresponds to two MaxCompute projects. One project is in the production environment and the other is in the development environment. In this workspace, you can develop code in a standard manner and strictly control resource permissions. Unauthorized developers are prohibited from managing resources in the production environment. This ensures data security in the production environment.
For more information about the differences between the two modes, see Basic mode and standard mode.
Description The description of the workspace. Advanced Settings Download SELECT Query Result Specifies whether the query results can be downloaded on the Data Analytics page of DataWorks. If you turn off Download SELECT Query Result, workspace members cannot download the query results.
- In the Create Workspace panel, configure parameters to create a MaxCompute project and click Confirm creation.
Parameter Description Instance display name The name of the workspace. The name must be 3 to 28 characters in length, and can contain only letters, digits, and underscores (_). It must start with a letter. Payment mode The billing method of MaxCompute, which must be the same as the method you selected when you activated MaxCompute. Quota group The quota group. Quota groups are used to configure compute units (CUs) and disk quotas. For more information about quota groups, see Use MaxCompute Management. MaxCompute data type The data type edition of MaxCompute. Valid values: MaxCompute V2.0 Data Type Edition (Recommended), MaxCompute V1.0 Data Type Edition (Suitable for Early MaxCompute Projects), and Hive-Compatible Data Type Edition (Suitable for MaxCompute Projects Migrated from Hadoop). You can select an appropriate data type edition based on your business requirements. For more information about the differences between the three data type editions, see Data type editions. Whether to encrypt Specifies whether the data encryption feature needs to be enabled for the created MaxCompute project. For more information about data encryption, see Data encryption. Key The type of the key to be used in the MaxCompute project. Valid values: Dataworks Default Key and BYOK. If you select Dataworks Default Key, the key that MaxCompute automatically creates for the project in KMS will be used in the project. Algorithm The encryption algorithm that is supported by the key. Valid values: AES256, AESCTR, and RC4. Project name The name of the MaxCompute project. If you create a DataWorks workspace in basic mode, the project name is automatically set to the name that you specified for the DataWorks workspace. If the DataWorks workspace is in standard mode, the project name of the production environment is the same as that of the DataWorks workspace by default, and the project name of the development environment is marked with _dev. Access identity The identity that you used to access the MaxCompute project. For a project in the development environment, the value is fixed to Node Owner.
For a project in the production environment, the valid values are Alibaba Cloud Account and RAM User. Alibaba Cloud account is an Alibaba Cloud account, and Alibaba Cloud sub-account is a RAM user.
Use the DataWorks console to create a project
For more information, see Create a workspace.
What to do next
- If you need a RAM user for data development, you can add the RAM user as a MaxCompute project member and assign a role to the RAM user. For more information about how to add project members, see Add a workspace member and configure roles.
- If you do not need to add project members, prepare the development environment for the MaxCompute project and install the required tools. For more information about how to prepare a development environment and install tools, see Prepare an environment and install required development tools.
- If you need to delete an existing MaxCompute project, follow the instructions provided in Delete a MaxCompute project to perform this operation.