If you enable deletion protection for a customer master key (CMK), the CMK cannot be deleted regardless of whether you use the Key Management Service (KMS) console or call API operations. This prevents CMKs from being deleted by mistake. This topic describes how to enable deletion protection.
- Log on to the KMS console.
- In the top navigation bar, select the region where your CMK resides.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Keys.
- Find your CMK and click its name.
- In the Key Details section, click Enable Deletion Protection.
Note You can also click Disable Deletion Protection to disable deletion protection for your CMK.
- In the Enable message, click OK.
After deletion protection is enabled, the status of Deletion Protection changes from Disabled to Enabled.