This topic describes how to update the minor engine version of an ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server instance. These updates are used to enhance database performance, introduce new features, and fix known bugs.
For more information about the minor engine versions of ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server, see Release notes of minor ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server versions.
Your RDS instance runs SQL Server 2019.
- An update requires 20 minutes to 30 minutes based on the data volume of your RDS instance. We recommend that you perform an update during off-peak hours. In addition, make sure that your application is configured to automatically reconnect to your RDS instance.
- After you update the minor engine version of your RDS instance, you cannot rollback
Warning Before you perform an update, we recommend that you create an RDS instance that is designed to run the destination minor engine version. Then, migrate the data of your RDS instance to the new RDS instance to test overall compatibility. For more information, see Restore the data to a new RDS instance.
- After you update the minor engine version of your RDS instance, the value of Backup Size on the Basic Information page of the ApsaraDB RDS console may be displayed as 0. After the next scheduled backup is complete, this error is automatically fixed.
View the minor engine version of your RDS instance
- Log on to the ApsaraDB RDS console and view the minor engine version on the Basic Information page of your RDS instance.
- Connect to your RDS instance and execute the
SELECT @@VERSIONstatement to view the minor engine version of your RDS instance. For more information, see Connect to an ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server instance.
Update the minor engine version of your RDS instance
- Visit the RDS instance list, select a region above, and click the target instance ID.
- In the Configuration Information section, click Upgrade Minor Engine Version. Note If the button is unavailable, the minor engine version of your RDS instance is the latest version. Otherwise, your RDS instance does not run SQL Server 2019.
- In the dialog box that appears, configure the Available Upgrade and Upgrade Time parameters and click OK.