Hybrid Backup Recovery (HBR) is integrated with the Alibaba Cloud snapshot service to provide agentless backup for Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instances and disks. You can create crash-consistent snapshots for all disks, including system and data disks. You can use a snapshot to back up or restore a disk.
- The ECS instance protection feature allows you to protect ECS instances or disks that you specify by using a periodic disk backup policy. You can use this feature to protect your ECS instances and disks for an extended period of time at a low cost.
- ECS instance backup is a backup orchestration service that is provided by HBR based on the ECS snapshot capability. HBR is in public preview and can be used free of charge. You are charged for the usage of ECS snapshots. For more information, see Snapshots.
- Log on to the HBR console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- In the top navigation bar, select a region.
- In the upper-right corner of the page, click +Add ECS Instance.
- In the Create ECS Protection Plan dialog box, configure the following settings:
- Select the ECS instance that you want to protect. Note If you want to protect all disks of the ECS instance, turn on Protect All Disks. If you turn on Protect All Disks, all subsequent disks that are attached to the ECS instance are also protected. If you want to protect only specific disks, turn off Protect All Disks.
- Configure a backup plan. The following table describes the parameters of a backup
plan. You can create backup files for an ECS instance on at regular intervals based on a specified backup policy. You can also create only one backup file of the current point in time for the ECS instance.
Parameter Description On Schedule If you turn on On Schedule, HBR creates backup jobs at regular intervals based on the backup policy. Plan Name This parameter is required only if you turn on On Schedule. The name of the backup plan. If you do not specify a value for this parameter, a random name is specified for the backup plan. Start Time This parameter is required only if you turn on On Schedule. The start time of the scheduled backup plan. The time is accurate to seconds. Backup Interval This parameter is required only if you turn on On Schedule. The interval at which HBR runs backup jobs. Unit: hours, days, or weeks. Retention Period The period of time for which HBR retains backup files. Valid values: 1 to 65536. Unit: days.
- Optional:Click Application Consistent Backup. This feature is available only in the Singapore (Singapore) and China (Hong Kong) regions. For more information, see Enable the application-consistent backup feature.
- Optional:Turn on Cross-Region Copy to enable the cross-region replication feature. Set the parameters as described in
the following table.
Parameter Description Destination Region If you enable the cross-region replication feature, backup files that are created by this backup plan are automatically replicated to a specified destination region.
If the ECS instance is infected with viruses or data is lost due to accidental deletion, you can use backup files in the source region or backup files that are replicated to the destination region to create an ECS instance to restore data.
Retention Period The retention period for the backup data in the destination region.
- Specify Period: You can specify a retention period. Valid values: 1 to 65536. Unit: days.
- Continuous Retention: Backup data in the destination region is retained for persistent storage.
- Select the ECS instance that you want to protect.
- Click OK. After the backup policy is created, HBR runs the first backup job at the specified start time and runs the following backup jobs based on the specified interval.
What to do next
The ECS instance backup feature provides the following tabs, which you can use to efficiently manage backup jobs:
|Protected ECS Instances||Displays the ECS instances that are protected.||
|Protection Plans||Shows the protection plans that are configured. On the tab, you can perform basic O&M operations on the protection plans.||
|Jobs||Shows the status of executed jobs.||You can cancel the jobs that are being executed.|
|Batch Add ECS||Create multiple backup files for an ECS instance. You can create up to 50 backup files for an ECS instance at a time.||In the upper-right corner of the ECS Server Backup page, click Batch Add ECS. Follow the instructions to select an ECS instance and configure a protection plan.|