When you create clusters, you do not need to pay for the clusters when you purchase the clusters. You are charged for the computing resources and storage that you use. If you do not use compute plans and storage plans, the fees of compute nodes and the consumed storage are billed by hour. The fees are deducted from your account balance on an hourly basis.
If workloads are light, infrequently change, and have small fluctuations, we recommend that you purchase pay-as-you-go clusters. Fees are deducted from your account based on the compute nodes that you use.
Together with storage plans
The storage capacity of PolarDB is automatically scaled in or out based on the amount of stored data. You do not need to manually specify the storage capacity. You are charged only for the used storage. We recommend that you purchase PolarDB storage plans if you require a large storage capacity to store a large amount of data. This reduces the storage costs.
You are charged based on the data volume and retention period. If you need to store a large amount of data, for example, 1,000 GB or more, we recommend that you use this billing method together with storage plans. Larger discounts are offered on storage plans with larger capacities.
- You can select the following types of storage plans: storage plans that apply to regions inside mainland China, and storage plans that apply to China (Hong Kong) and regions outside China. You can purchase only one storage plan for each type.
- A storage plan can be shared by all clusters in the regions that are specified by the Plan Type parameter. You can specify Mainland China or China (Hong Kong) and regions outside China as Plan Type. For more information, see Storage plans.
- If the capacity of your storage plan is insufficient, you can upgrade the storage plan. For more information, see Upgrade a storage plan. However, storage plans cannot be downgraded.
- You are charged for the storage that is not covered by the storage plan on a pay-as-you-go
For example, you have three PolarDB clusters and each cluster requires 400 GB of storage. If you purchase a storage plan of 1,000 GB and these clusters share the storage plan, you are charged for the extra 200 GB of storage on a pay-as-you-go basis. For more information, see View the database storage usage.
Purchase pay-as-you-go clusters
- For more information about how to purchase a pay-as-you-go cluster, see Purchase a pay-as-you-go cluster.
- For more information about how to change a subscription cluster to a pay-as-you-go cluster, see Change the billing method from subscription to pay-as-you-go.
- For more information about how to purchase a storage plan, see Purchase a storage plan.