If you use the subscription billing method, you must pay for the compute nodes when you purchase clusters. You are charged for the used storage on an hourly basis. Fees for the storage that you use are deducted from your account on an hourly basis. Pay-as-you-go bills are still generated when you use the subscription billing method.
If workloads are heavy, have small fluctuations, and infrequently change, for example, scale-out is not required in a year, we recommend that you purchase subscription clusters. If workloads are heavy, the subscription billing method is more cost-effective than the pay-as-you-go method, even though you pay for compute nodes when you purchase subscription clusters.
Together with storage plans
The storage capacity of PolarDB is automatically scaled in or out based on the amount of stored data. You do not need to manually specify the storage capacity. You are charged only for the used storage. We recommend that you purchase PolarDB storage plans if you require a large storage capacity to store a large amount of data. This reduces the storage costs.
You are charged based on the data volume and retention period. If you need to store a large amount of data, for example, 1,000 GB or more, we recommend that you use this billing method together with storage plans. Larger discounts are offered on storage plans with larger capacities.
- You can select the following types of storage plans: storage plans that apply to regions inside mainland China, and storage plans that apply to China (Hong Kong) and regions outside China. You can purchase only one storage plan for each type.
- A storage plan can be shared by all clusters in the regions that are specified by the Plan Type parameter. You can specify Mainland China or China (Hong Kong) and regions outside China as Plan Type. For more information, see Storage plans.
- If the capacity of your storage plan is insufficient, you can upgrade the storage plan. For more information, see Upgrade a storage plan. However, storage plans cannot be downgraded.
- You are charged for the storage that is not covered by the storage plan on a pay-as-you-go basis.
For example, you have three PolarDB clusters and each cluster requires 400 GB of storage. If you purchase a storage plan of 1,000 GB and these clusters share the storage plan, you are charged for the extra 200 GB of storage on a pay-as-you-go basis. For more information, see View the database storage usage.
Purchase subscription clusters
- For more information about how to purchase a subscription cluster, see Purchase a subscription cluster.
- For more information about how to change a pay-as-you-go cluster to a subscription cluster, see Change the billing method from pay-as-you-go to subscription.
- For more information about how to purchase a storage plan, see Purchase a storage plan.