Alibaba Cloud used a variety of ApsaraDB services to develop an aggregate payment solution for Wuhan Lichu Business Service Co., Ltd. (known as Lichu Saobei). The solution solved issues such as insufficient data storage, poor read and write performance, and missing big data analysis capabilities.
About Lichu Saobei
Lichu Saobei was established in 2011, and was one of the first companies in China to engage in R&D for payment service technology. The company has provided product solutions that support top mobile payment platforms, including Alipay. Lichu Saobei provides services for 700,000 merchants across more than 400 prefecture-level cities in China. Daily transactions on Lichu Saobei services can reach 12 million, with annual transactions worth up to CNY 200 billion.
As its business has grown, Lichu Saobei has encountered the following challenges:
- Over a three month period, Lichu Saobei stored over 2 TB of data. The storage space of individual ApsaraDB for RDS instances was not sufficient for their expanding business.
- As the number of merchants and daily transaction volumes grew, the read and write performance of databases decreased significantly.
- As the amount of data increases, the number of queries increases exponentially. Individual MySQL databases were not sufficient to meet the requirements for analysis and queries of large amounts of data.
Alibaba Cloud developed the following solution for Lichu Saobei:
- PolarDB-X is used to cope with the storage quota for orders and high concurrency during peak hours through horizontal partitioning. DRDS is highly compatible with the MySQL syntax. This helps upgrade the original individual database structure to the current distributed architecture.
- Apsara PolarDB is used to archive data to meet requirements for data storage. Apsara PolarDB separates compute resources from storage resources and is fully compatible with MySQL. This ensures that PolarDB can be easily integrated with the existing system.
- ApsaraDB for Redis is used to cache data and improve the read efficiency through cache. Read databases in ApsaraDB for RDS read-only instances are used for automatic load balancing.
- AnalyticDB for MySQL is used to perform immediate queries of large amounts of data. This can meet the requirements for real-time operations and enable precise marketing.
- Data Transmission Service (DTS) is used to synchronize data in real time between databases, allowing reports to be generated from new user data within seconds.
The Alibaba Cloud solution provides the following benefits to Lichu Saobei:
- The system can store 100 TB of data and support 100,000 transactions per second (TPS) and millions of queries per second (QPS). This allows Lichu Saobei to handle up to ten times the previous business volume, ensuring that every end user can enjoy a smooth payment experience.
- The time required to generate decision reports was reduced from minutes to seconds. Business behaviors are now smoothly integrated with business decisions. Decision makers can use data in reports to make business decisions and create business value based on data computing.
- Alibaba Cloud provides flexible specification changes, online resizing, SQL auditing, and read-only instances at all times of day.