ApsaraVideo Live collects and distributes live streams and provides real-time media processing for live streams on the server side. To implement these features, you must add domain names for CDN to ApsaraVideo Live and configure the domain names. This topic describes the domain names for CDN and shows you how to add and bind domain names for CDN. This topic also provides a table that describes the features of ApsaraVideo Live that are enabled for streaming domains.
To ingest and play streams, you must add an ingest domain and a streaming domain.
- Ingest domain
An ingest domain is a domain name that is used to ingest streams. To add an ingest domain, set the Domain Type parameter to Ingest Domain.
- Streaming domain
A streaming domain is a domain name that is used to play streams. To add a streaming domain, set the Domain Type parameter to Streaming Domain.
To ingest and play streams, you must bind an added ingest domain to an added streaming domain. You cannot use the same domain name as an ingest domain and a streaming domain at the same time.
You can add a maximum of 20 domain names for each Alibaba Cloud account. If the average daily peak bandwidth of your domain names exceeds 50 Mbit/s, you can submit a ticket to increase the quota of domain names. Make sure that the quota increase does not incur business risks.
Add a domain name
- Check the compliance of the domain name.
ApsaraVideo Live uses Alibaba Cloud CDN to accelerate content delivery. Before you add a domain name to ApsaraVideo Live, make sure that the domain name meets the relevant compliance requirements. This prevents losses that can be caused by non-compliance. For more information, see Verify a domain name.
- Verify the ownership of the domain name.
When you add a new domain name to ApsaraVideo Live, ApsaraVideo Live verifies the ownership of the domain name. After you pass the verification, ApsaraVideo Live identifies you as the owner of the domain name. If you add the domain name to ApsaraVideo Live again or add its subdomain names to ApsaraVideo Live, the ownership verification process is not needed. Alibaba Cloud allows you to use a DNS record or a verification file to prove the ownership of a domain name. For more information, see Verify the ownership of a domain name.
- Add the domain name to ApsaraVideo Live in the ApsaraVideo Live console or by calling the AddLiveDomain operation.
When you add a domain name, the Domain Name, Live Center, Domain Type, and Edge Group parameters are required.
Parameter in the console Parameter in the operation Description Domain Name DomainName The domain name to be added. Do not specify a domain name that has been added to another Alibaba Cloud service. Otherwise, the The specified domain already exists message appears and the domain name fails to be added.
- If you use the ApsaraVideo Live console to add domain names, you can specify subdomain names. Wildcard domain names are not supported.
- If you call API operations to add domain names, you can specify wildcard domain names that start with periods (.).
Live Center Region The region used as the live center of ApsaraVideo Live. You must specify the same live center for the ingest domain and streaming domain to be bound together. This parameter cannot be modified once set.
For more information about how to select a live center, see How do I select a live center?.
Domain Type LiveDomainType The type of the domain name. You can add a domain name as an ingest domain or a streaming domain. This parameter cannot be modified once set. Edge Group Scope The edge group where content delivery is to be accelerated. Valid values:
- Mainland China or domestic:
If the casters are located in mainland China, set the value to Mainland China or domestic based on the configuration channel for ingest names.
If the audience is located in mainland China, set the value to Mainland China or domestic based on the configuration channel for streaming domains.
To accelerate content delivery in mainland China, you must apply for an Internet content provider (ICP) filing for the domain name from the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) of China.
- Global or global:
If the casters are located in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan, and countries and regions outside China, set the value to Global or global based on the configuration channel for ingest domains.
If the audience is located in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan, and countries and regions outside China, set the value to Global or global based on the configuration channel for streaming domains.To accelerate content delivery in both China and global regions, you must apply for an ICP filing for the domain name from the MIIT of China.
- Outside Mainland China or overseas:
If the casters are located outside mainland China, set the value to Outside Mainland China or overseas based on the configuration channel for ingest domains.
If the audience is located outside mainland China, set the value to Outside Mainland China or overseas based on the configuration channel for streaming domains.
To accelerate content delivery outside mainland China, you do not need to apply for an ICP filing for the domain name from the MIIT of China.
- The Global and Outside Mainland China values are not equivalent to the settings of premium streaming acceleration. This parameter is used for CDN acceleration during live streaming. The premium streaming acceleration feature is used to accelerate the live streams for audience and casters that are located in different countries and regions, including mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan, and countries and regions outside China.
- Unit prices of Alibaba Cloud CDN bandwidth and traffic for live streaming vary with the edge group. CDN acceleration is enabled only when users make playback requests in a specific edge group and bills are generated based on the unit prices for the edge group. Assume that you set this parameter to Global or global based on the configuration channel and only users in mainland China make playback requests. In this case, CDN acceleration is not enabled outside mainland China and no corresponding fees are charged. For more information about the billing rules, see Fees of live streaming and the Pricing page of ApsaraVideo Live.
- Configure a canonical name (CNAME) record.
You must configure a CNAME record to map a domain name to the CNAME that is assigned by ApsaraVideo Live. This way, requests sent to the domain name can be redirected to Alibaba Cloud CDN nodes and you can enable CDN acceleration.
- For more information about how to configure a CNAME record in Alibaba Cloud DNS, see Configure a CNAME record in Alibaba Cloud DNS.
- For more information about how to configure a CNAME record on Tencent Cloud (DNSPod), see Configure a CNAME record on DNSPod.
- For more information about how to configure a CNAME record on Xinnet, see Configure a CNAME record on Xinnet.
- If you are new to DNS resolution and have questions about what is DNS resolution, why is DNS resolution required, how to perform DNS resolution, what is an A record, what is a CNAME record, and what are the differences between a CNAME record and an A record, see the help documentation on DNS resolution.
- After you add an ingest domain and a streaming domain to ApsaraVideo Live, you must configure CNAME records for the domain names to take effect.
- A time-to-live (TTL) value is specified in the CNAME record of a domain name to indicate how long the CNAME record can be cached on the DNS resolver. If you modify the CNAME record of the domain name, the new settings take effect after the cache expires, which takes about 10 minutes.
Bind the domain names
After you add an ingest domain and a streaming domain to ApsaraVideo Live, you must bind the domain names together to ingest and play streams.
ApsaraVideo Live uses edge ingest to preferentially ingest streams to the optimal Alibaba Cloud CDN nodes so that you can access the most efficient upstream network. To ensure successful live streaming, you must map a streaming domain to an ingest domain.
You can bind multiple ingest domains to multiple sub-streaming domains. The following figure shows how you can achieve this objective. Specifically, you must specify a main streaming domain and multiple sub-streaming domains.
- You can bind multiple ingest domains to a streaming domain.
An ingest domain can be bound to only one main streaming domain. To play an ingested stream by using multiple streaming domains, specify one of them as a main streaming domain and bind the others as sub-streaming domains to the main streaming domain.
- After you bind one or more sub-streaming domains to a main streaming domain, an ingest
domain can be bound to all these streaming domains.
Sub-streaming domains inherit the settings of the main streaming domain, such as the settings of stream ingest and transcoding. The settings that you configure for sub-streaming domains are invalid. For example, transcoding templates are valid only for main streaming domains. For more information about whether a setting is valid for a streaming domain, see Features of ApsaraVideo Live that are enabled for streaming domains.
Features of ApsaraVideo Live that are enabled for streaming domains
After you add domain names to ApsaraVideo Live, you must configure the domain names to ingest and play streams. The following table describes the features of ApsaraVideo Live that are enabled for main streaming domains or sub-streaming domain.
|Feature||Main streaming domain||Sub-streaming domain|
|Stream management||View details of streams, including active ingest endpoints, activity logs, and disabled ingest endpoints||√||-|
|Configure disabled ingest endpoints||√||-|
|Recording management||View recordings||√||-|
|Edit index files||√||-|
|Domain name management||Change the edge group||-||√|
|Add or remove stream ingest information||√||-|
|Add a sub-streaming domain||√||A sub-streaming domain cannot be nested to another sub-streaming domain.|
|Configure the origin host for an HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) video||√||The origin host header of a sub-streaming domain must be set to the main streaming domain.|
|Configure streaming latency||-||√|
|Configure HTTP headers||-||√|
|Configure security settings, including the settings of HTTPS, hotlink protection, URL signing, and IP address blacklist or whitelist||-||√|
|Monitor the peak bandwidth||-||√|
|Configure IPv6 settings||-||√|
|Media processing management||Configure transcoding templates||√||-|
|Configure recording templates and recording callbacks||√||-|
|Configure snapshots and snapshot callbacks||√||-|
|Configure time shifting||√||-|
|Configure streaming latency||√||-|
|Configure stream pulling||√||-|
|Configure premium streaming acceleration||√||-|
|Data monitoring||Resource monitoring: Monitor the downstream bandwidth||-||√|
|Resource monitoring: Collect back-to-origin statistics||-||√|
|Resource monitoring: Monitor HTTP status codes||-||√|
|Real-time monitoring: Monitor the bandwidth and traffic||-||√|
|Real-time monitoring: Monitor quality||-||√|
|Access statistics||Unique visitors||-||√|
|Resource usage||Streaming bandwidth and traffic||-||√|
|Premium streaming acceleration||√||-|
|Log management||Download logs||-||√|