Serverless Kubernetes (ASK) clusters support the FlexVolume and Container Storage Interface (CSI) plug-ins. This topic describes the features of these plug-ins and how to choose a plug-in to meet your requirements.
Differences between FlexVolume and CSI
|Flexvolume||FlexVolume is the traditional open source volume plug-in that is used to extend Kubernetes storage systems. ASK clusters support the FlexVolume plug-in. The FlexVolume plug-in consists of the following parts:
For more information about FlexVolume, see Overview.
For more information about how to upgrade FlexVolume, see Manage system components.
|CSI||CSI is recommended by the Kubernetes community. The CSI plug-in used in ASK clusters supports the features of the open source CSI version. CSI consists of the following parts:
How to choose
- For newly created clusters, we recommend that you use CSI. ASK will continue to upgrade CSI to support more features of the open source CSI.
- For existing clusters, we recommend that you use the plug-in that you have installed. ASK will continue to support FlexVolume.
- You need to select a plug-in when you create an ACK cluster.
- You cannot use both plug-ins on the same ACK cluster.
- You cannot change the plug-in from FlexVolume to CSI for an ACK cluster.