This topic describes how to resolve the issues of burst traffic and excessive server demand in Century Mart with ease by using Function Compute, API Gateway, Log Service, Tablestore, and the serverless architecture. The serverless architecture features fast scaling, elasticity, and high availability.
Century Mart is a new retail chain supermarket that has more than 170 stores around China. It is the leader in the fast-moving consumer goods retail industry.
After 10 years of development, its business covers hypermarkets, comprehensive supermarkets, and standard supermarkets. Century Mart is positioned as a supermarket and a boutique department store. Its supermarket brands include Century Mart and Lianhua.
Customer pain points
- Burst traffic: Century Mart has a large number of followers. Its monthly promotion news attracts a large number of members to grab coupons at the same time. The burst traffic was so high that its service was interrupted.
- Excessive server demand: Management services of supermarket members are intensive. A large number of servers are used to support regular online shopping promotions, but business is greatly affected during peak hours.
- System overload: Large promotion activities such as Double 11 may encounter tedious and complicated work of server management and system overload caused by the fluctuating number of users. Century Mart must find an elastic and stable system architecture to support such activities.
The serverless architecture features fast scaling, elasticity, and high availability and is able to cope with burst traffic. Tablestore replaces traditional relational databases. Function Compute reads and writes data from and to Tablestore and efficiently returns processing results to frontend users.
- Function Compute: supports auto scaling and can dynamically allocate runtime environments based on the number of requests received. Its deployment is simple.
- Tablestore: offers faster access and higher throughput, which eliminates the need to add additional servers.
- API Gateway: allows you to control access and export API documentation in a convenient way.
Benefits of Alibaba Cloud services and the serverless architecture
- Increase revenue: Alibaba Cloud services help Century Mart reach a new high of 550 million transactions in three days during Double 11.
- Reduce workload: Function Compute reduces the workload of technical engineers. Function Compute is a fully managed and event-driven computing service. You can write and upload code without the need to manage infrastructure resources such as servers. Function Compute prepares computing resources and provides features such as log query, performance monitoring, and alerting. Migrating all data and business to Alibaba Cloud can greatly reduce the stress and workload of users. If Century Mart does not use Function Compute but only deploy more servers to support large amounts of traffic and business during Double 11, Century Mart will not be able to ensure the normal operation of the activities. Alibaba Cloud resolves the scale-out issues, which greatly improves the data storage capacity.
- Reduce the dependency on technical engineers: Alibaba Cloud provides cutting edge technologies. Developers in Century Mart do not need to study algorithms, but need only to learn how to use relevant tools of Alibaba Cloud. This reduces research and development investment and costs.