What are basic settings?
Basic settings include the required system settings that you must configure for each new Global Traffic Manager (GTM) instance. These settings include the instance name, CNAME access domain name, primary domain, global time-to-live (TTL), alert group, and alert notification method.
1 . Instance Name
An instance name is used to identify application services that belong to the instance. Each instance name must be informative and easy to remember. To modify an instance name, go to the Basic Configuration tab.
2 . Domain Name(Public Network)
A service domain name is used to access an application service. Make sure that you specify a valid service domain name.
To implement traffic scheduling, you must use a CNAME record to map a service domain name to a GTM CNAME access domain name in the Alibaba Cloud DNS console.
3 . CNAME(Public Network)
A CNAME access domain name is used to access GTM. In the DNS settings, you can connect a service domain name with a CNAME access domain name by using a CNAME record. CNAME access domain names are categorized into the following two types. To change the types, go to the Basic Configuration tab.
Assigned access domain name: Select this option if the IP address pool contains only Alibaba Cloud IP addresses or IP addresses outside mainland China.
Custom access domain name: You can use a domain name in your account as the suffix of a GTM access domain name. We recommend that you select this option if your domain name is hosted in a data center.
1. If the address pool contains IP addresses that are not hosted by Alibaba Cloud, we recommend that you select Custom Access Domain Name. Otherwise, the domain name may fail to be registered.
2. If a custom access domain name is used, the minimum value of the global TTL is subject to the minimum TTL value of the instance edition for the custom domain name.
3. If your DNS resolution service does not reside in Alibaba Cloud, you can migrate the DNS resolution service to Alibaba Cloud. Then, you can use a custom access domain name to access the DNS resolution service.
4. If you cannot migrate a DNS resolution service to Alibaba Cloud, you can create a subdomain for the DNS resolution service. Then, you can authorize Alibaba Cloud DNS to host the subdomain by using an NS record. To access the DNS resolution service, you can use a custom access domain name.
5. If you use a custom access domain name, the specified DNS request sources must be the same as the ISP line of an access domain name. For example, if you select ISP in the ISP Line field, you must select ISP and Global in the DNS Request Sources field.
4 . Global TTL
You can use GTM to manage network traffic based on domain names. The global TTL specifies the TTL of the IP address information cached in the DNS system of the Internet service provider (ISP). By default, the global TTL is set to 1 minute. The standard edition supports a minimum TTL period of 1 minute. The ultimate edition supports a minimum TTL period of 1 second. If you use a custom access domain name, the global TTL must be the same as the minimum TTL that is supported by the Alibaba Cloud DNS service plan of the custom domain name.
5 . Alert Group
An alert group is used to receive notifications if errors occur. You can configure an alert group in Cloud Monitor. If the health check feature of GTM detects a problem, for example, an IP address is abnormal or an address pool is unavailable, GTM sends an alert notification to the related group.
To meet your business requirements for custom alert contents and methods, GTM allows you to configure the required alert notification method.
6 . Edit
If you need to change the settings of an instance after you complete the global configuration in the GTM console, you can click Edit on the Basic Configuration tab. These settings include the instance name, CNAME access domain name, service domain name, global TTL, and alert group.
1 . Log on to the Alibaba Cloud DNS console.
2 . In the left-side navigation pane, click Global Traffic Manager. On the Global Traffic Manager page, click the required instance in the ID/Name column. The Basic Configuration page appears.
3 . Click the Basic Configuration tab and click Edit. The Modify Basic Configurations dialog box appears.
4 . In the Modify Basic Configurations dialog box, you can edit the instance name, CNAME access domain name, service domain name, global TTL, alert group, and notification methods.