This topic provides answers to frequently asked questions about Elastic Desktop Service (EDS) regarding items such as billing, desktop management, and desktop usage.
- Desktop management
- Why am I unable to select users when I create a cloud desktop?
- What do I do if a cloud desktop fails to be created?
- When I create a cloud desktop, I am prompted "The price cannot be calculated. Refresh the page and try again." What do I do?
- What do I do if my cloud desktop cannot access the Internet?
- Can multiple users use a single cloud desktop?
- What do I do if I do not see the cloud desktop after I log on to the client?
- Desktop usage
- How do I connect to a cloud desktop?
- I failed to log on to my cloud desktop and was prompted "Failed to connect to the "LOCALHOST" server." What do I do?
- What do I do if the data disk capacity of my cloud desktop is smaller than that of the desktop template that is used to create my cloud desktop?
- When I play a game or use 3D software in a cloud desktop, the mouse moves abnormally. What do I do?
- What do I do if I am unable to install an application in a Windows cloud desktop?
- What USB peripherals are supported by cloud desktops?
- AD connections
- Desktop templates
What specifications are available for cloud desktops?
The specifications of cloud desktops include computing resources (vCPUs and memory) and storage resources (system disks and data disks). To meet different business requirements, Alibaba Cloud provides a variety of cloud desktop types, including Basic Office, Advanced Office, Performance, Graphics, and Advanced Graphics. For more information, see Cloud desktop types.
How are cloud desktops charged?
Cloud desktops are charged based on their desktop types, which specify the computing resources (vCPUs and memory) and storage resources (system and data disks). Cloud desktops support the subscription and pay-as-you-go billing methods. In addition to desktop resources, you are also charged for active directory (AD) connectors, network bandwidth, and Apsara File Storage NAS file systems. For more information, see Billing overview.
Can I continue to use cloud desktops while I have overdue payments within my account?
Why am I unable to select users when I create a cloud desktop?
What do I do if a cloud desktop fails to be created?
If you make a large number of requests to create cloud desktops, the cloud desktops may fail to be created. The system provides a queue mechanism. If a cloud desktop cannot be created within 1 hour, a creation failure message appears in the EDS console. You can release the failed cloud desktop and create another one. If the failed cloud desktop is not released within seven days, the system reclaims it. You are not charged for failed cloud desktops.
When I create a cloud desktop, I am prompted "The price cannot be calculated. Refresh the page and try again." What do I do?
- Log on to the RAM console by using an Alibaba Cloud account.
- Find the RAM user and view its policies. If the RAM user does not have the AliyunBSSFullAccess
policy, attach it to the RAM user. For more information, see Grant permissions to a RAM user.
AliyunBSSFullAccess is the policy that grants all permissions in the Billing Management console. Users who have this policy have all permissions, including the permissions to purchase services and view consumption records.
What do I do if my cloud desktop cannot access the Internet?
You must enable the Internet access feature for the workspace to which your cloud desktop belongs before your cloud desktop can access the Internet. For more information, see Manage Internet access.
Can multiple users use a single cloud desktop?
A cloud desktop can be assigned to multiple users, but only one user can use the cloud desktop at a time. You can configure security policies for your cloud desktops to allow users to preempt other user logons. For more information, see Assign cloud desktops to regular users and view the regular users to whom the cloud desktops are assigned.
What do I do if I do not see the cloud desktop after I log on to the client?
- Log on to the EDS console.
- In the top navigation bar, select a region.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Cloud Desktops.
- Select User ID from the drop-down list, enter a user ID, and then click the search icon.
- If the current user is assigned a cloud desktop, check whether the workspace ID entered on the client is correct.
- If the current user does not have a cloud desktop, you can assign the user a cloud desktop. For more information, see Assign cloud desktops to regular users and view the regular users to whom the cloud desktops are assigned.
How do I connect to a cloud desktop?
You can use a Windows or Mac client to connect to a cloud desktop. For more information, see Connect to a cloud desktop from the client.
I failed to log on to my cloud desktop and was prompted "Failed to connect to the "LOCALHOST" server." What do I do?
If the "Failed to connect to the "LOCALHOST" server" message appears when you log on to your cloud desktop, a network proxy or a VPN may have been configured on your computer. Disable the network proxy or VPN and log on to the cloud desktop again. If you still cannot log on to your cloud desktop, restart your computer.
What do I do if the data disk capacity of my cloud desktop is smaller than that of the desktop template that is used to create my cloud desktop?
Example: I set the data disk capacity to 150 GiB when I create my desktop template. However, I see that the data disk has a capacity of only 70 GiB after I log on to my cloud desktop.
Problem description: The desktop template contains a custom image. The data disk capacity specified in the desktop template is larger than that of the image. Then, the initial data disk capacity of the cloud desktop created from the template is the same as the data disk capacity of the image. The extra capacity is unallocated. You cannot use the extra capacity. You must manually resize your data disk to allocate the extra capacity to the existing or newly created partitions of the data disk.
Solution: Log on to your cloud desktop and manually resize your data disk partitions. For more information, see Resize the partitions of a data disk.
When I play a game or use 3D software in a cloud desktop, the mouse moves abnormally. What do I do?
- Log on to the cloud desktop.
- In the top toolbar, click Preferences.
- Click the Connections tab and select Use Relative Mouse.
- Click OK.
What do I do if I am unable to install an application in a Windows cloud desktop?
- Log on to the cloud desktop.
- Run cmd as the administrator.
- Click the search icon in the Windows taskbar and enter cmd.
- Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- In the dialog box that appears, click Yes.
- Run the following command to go to the directory where applauncher.exe is located:
cd c:\Program Files (x86)\Alibaba\edsagent\Note You can press the Tab key while you are entering the path. The system displays the directory for you to select.
- Run the
applauncher.execommand to install the application:
applauncher.exe Absolute path of the applicationIn the following sample command,
d:\myshare\myapp.exeis the absolute path of the application to be installed.
- Complete the installation procedure.
What USB peripherals are supported by cloud desktops?
Cloud desktops provide USB redirection and support devices such as USB flash disks, U-Keys, printers, and scanners.
What permissions can I configure in a policy?
You can use policies to control permissions on data transmission between user terminals and cloud desktops as well as permissions to use peripheral devices in cloud desktop sessions.
Do I need to restart a cloud desktop after I change the policy associated with the cloud desktop?
No, you do not need to restart the cloud desktop. The new policy takes effect immediately after you reconnect to the cloud desktop.
What do I do if an AD directory fails to be registered?
- Check whether the private network of the enterprise AD system is connected to the
secure office network of the workspace by using Cloud Enterprise Network (CEN) and
whether their CIDR blocks overlap.
You can log on to the enterprise AD system and run the following command to check the network connectivity:
- Check whether you followed the procedure to properly connect the enterprise AD system
and whether the information that you entered is valid.
- The following section describes the proper procedure:
- Configure the DNS server of the enterprise AD system to enable zone transfer.
- Create a workspace of the enterprise AD account type in the EDS console.
- Configure the DNS conditional forwarder.
- Take note of the following items:
- Enter a complete domain name. Example: example.com.
- Enter a private IP address for the DNS server. This IP address is connected to the secure office network that you configured when you created the workspace.
- Do not add a domain name to the username. Use sAMAccountName, instead of userPrincipalName.
For more information, see Create a workspace of the enterprise AD account type.
- The following section describes the proper procedure:
- Check whether the DNS server allows traffic on the corresponding ports.
If your DNS server is deployed on an Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instance, check whether the inbound rules in the security group of the ECS instance are valid.
Protocol type Port or port range Authorization object Custom UDP 53, 88, 123, 137, 138, 389, 445, and 464 0.0.0.0/0 Custom TCP
- Port 88 to port 65535
- Check whether the DNS settings are correctly configured.
In this example, Windows Server 2016 is used to demonstrate how to verify the DNS settings. If your server runs another operating system, details may vary.
- Log on to the AD domain control server of the enterprise.
- Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Click the network in use. In the dialog box that appears, click Properties.
- Double-click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) to open the Properties dialog box.
- Check whether a DNS server is specified and whether the IP address is correct.
If AD and DNS are deployed on the same server, make sure that the DNS address of this server directs to 127.0.0.1. If AD and DNS are deployed on different servers, make sure that the DNS address of the AD domain control server directs to the IP address of the DNS server.
Can a cloud desktop use ECS public, custom, or Alibaba Cloud Marketplace images?
No, cloud desktops cannot use ECS public, custom, or Alibaba Cloud Marketplace images. Cloud desktops support only built-in system images and custom images created from system images.
How long does it take to create a custom image?
You can create custom images based on existing cloud desktops. It takes about 10 to 20 minutes to create a custom image, depending on the size of data stored in the cloud desktop.