Alibaba Cloud Elastic Desktop Service (EDS) outperforms traditional computers and Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) systems in the following aspects: EDS allows you to create cloud desktops in an efficient and simple manner. EDS also supports centralized and efficient O&M and management. You can use EDS to create an easy-to-use, secure, and efficient cloud desktop in a quick manner without the need to heavily invest money and time in deployment.
Comparison among EDS, traditional computers, and VDI systems
|Desktop deployment||Desktops are deployed on the cloud and can be accessed anytime, anywhere.||Desktops are deployed in self-managed clusters and can be maintained in a centralized manner.||Desktops are separately assigned to users.|
|Data security||Data is stored on the cloud, which delivers high reliability and security.||Data is stored on servers, which ensures data security.||Data is stored on clients. Data security cannot be guaranteed because user behavior is uncontrollable.|
|Investment||EDS is out-of-the-box, flexible, and scalable. You do not need to invest in infrastructure.||You must make a one-time purchase of the required infrastructure at an additional cost.||You must make a one-time purchase of the required infrastructure at an additional cost.|
|O&M and management||Cloud desktops are centrally managed, which makes O&M simple and efficient.||O&M becomes complex as the number of VDI systems increases.||The resource procurement and delivery cycles are long, which causes difficulties in upgrades and configuration changes.|
Benefits of EDS
- Ease of use
- Out-of-the-box: You do not need to make excessive infrastructure investments. You can deploy EDS on the cloud with a few clicks. You are charged on a pay-as-you-go basis.
- Multi-client access: You can access your cloud desktops anytime, anywhere by using the EDS client of your operating system of choice.
- Access security: You must access cloud desktops by using security gateways to isolate the virtual private cloud (VPC) in which your cloud desktop resides from the Internet. EDS uses Resource Access Management (RAM) or Active Directory (AD) for secure account management. This allows access to the authentication systems of enterprises.
- Data security: Data is stored on the cloud. Multiple security policies and highly reliable distributed storage are used to protect your data.
- Centralized management: EDS allows you to centrally manage cloud resources and create both images and snapshots in a quick manner. It also supports various security policies and audit features. This way, you can maintain a large number of desktops in an easy manner.
- All-in-one console: EDS can access other Alibaba Cloud services and connect to IT facilities. This allows you to efficiently establish and maintain desktop systems.