Resource Access Management (RAM) allows you to separately manage the permissions of your Alibaba Cloud account and its RAM users. You can grant different permissions to different RAM users to avoid security risks caused by disclose of the AccessKey pair of your Alibaba Cloud account.
Enterprise A has activated Message Queue for RabbitMQ and wants to grant permissions on Message Queue for RabbitMQ resources, such as instances, queues, vhosts, and exchanges, to employees. Employees with different duties require different permissions. Enterprise A has the following requirements:
- For security purposes, the enterprise does not want to disclose the AccessKey pair of its Alibaba Cloud account to employees. Instead, it prefers to create different RAM users for the employees and grant different permissions to these RAM users.
- A RAM user can use resources only under authorization. Resource usage and costs are not separately calculated for each RAM user. All expenses are billed to the Alibaba Cloud account of the enterprise.
- The enterprise can revoke the permissions granted to RAM users and delete RAM users at any time.
Step 1: Create a RAM user
Use the Alibaba Cloud account of the enterprise to log on to the RAM console and create a RAM user.
- Log on to the RAM console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- On the Users page, click Create User.
- In the User Account Information section of the Create User page, specify Logon Name and Display Name.Note
- A logon name cannot exceed 128 characters in length and can contain only letters, digits, periods (.), underscores (_), and hyphens (-).
- A display name cannot exceed 24 characters in length.
- Optional:To create multiple RAM users, click Add User. Then, repeat the previous step.
- In the Access Mode section, select an access mode and click OK.Note For security purposes, we recommend that you select only one access mode.
- If you select Console Access, you must configure the following parameters: Console Password, Password Reset, and Multi-factor Authentication.
- If you select Programmatic Access, an AccessKey pair is automatically created for the RAM user.
Notice For security purposes, the RAM console allows you to view or download the AccessKey secret only once. Therefore, when you create an AccessKey pair, you must record the AccessKey secret and keep it strictly confidential.
Step 2: Grant permissions to the RAM user
Grant different permissions to RAM users.
- In the left-side navigation pane of the RAM console, choose .
- On the Users page, find the RAM user to which you want to grant permissions, and click Add Permissions in the Actions column.
- In the Select Policy section of the Add Permissions panel, click System Policy or Custom Policy. Enter the keyword of the policy that you want to add in the search box, click the displayed policy to add it to the Selected list, and then click OK.
- In the Add Permissions panel, view the authorization information and click Complete.
What to do next
Employees of Enterprise A can use RAM users to access Message Queue for RabbitMQ by using the following methods:
- Open the RAM Account Login page in your browser.
- On the RAM Account Login page, specify Username and click Next. Then, specify Password and click Login.
Note The logon name of the RAM user is in the format of <$username>@<$AccountAlias> or <$username>@<$AccountAlias>.onaliyun.com. <$AccountAlias> is the account alias. If no account alias is specified, the ID of the Alibaba Cloud account is used.
- API operation
Use the AccessKey ID and AccessKey secret of the RAM user in code to make an API request to access Message Queue for RabbitMQ.