This topic describes how to calculate and select an hourly commitment so as to purchase appropriate savings plans, and how to view the results of applying savings plans.
Purchase savings plans
- Purchase a system-recommended savings plan
If you want to optimize the costs of your pay-as-you-go instances, you can go to the Recommended page for system recommendations. You need only to configure the savings plan type, duration, and payment option, and the system recommends a savings plan with an appropriate hourly commitment based on your configurations. The recommendation feature is available for ECS and ECI instances.
- Select and purchase a savings plan on your own
If you have not created any pay-as-you-go instances, you can calculate an hourly commitment before you purchase a savings plan on the Savings Plan page.
For more information about how to calculate and select an appropriate hourly commitment, see the following Select an hourly commitment for ECS instances and Select an hourly commitment for ECI instances sections in this topic. The prices provided in this topic are for reference only. The actual prices displayed on the buy page shall prevail.
|Plan type||Savings plans come in two types:
|Region||When you select ECS compute savings plans, you must specify a region.|
|Instance family||When you select ECS compute savings plans, you must specify an instance family.|
|Hourly commitment||The hourly usage amount to which you commit. Minimum value: USD 0.01/hour. Resource usage within your commitment is calculated and offset based on the savings
plan unit price. Resource usage beyond your commitment is billed at the regular pay-as-you-go
Notice When you select the hourly commitment, use the savings plan discount price for calculation. For specific discounts, see the Discount Details page.
|Payment option||Three payment options are provided: All Upfront, Partial Upfront, and No Upfront. The All Upfront payment option provides the largest discount.|
|Duration||You can choose a duration of one or three years. A duration of three years provides the largest discount.|
Apply savings plans
After you purchase a savings plan, the savings plan is automatically applied to your pay-as-you-go instances. For information about the application rules, see Billing of savings plans.
You can go to the Savings Plan page to view the information about how your savings plans are applied, including the saving amount, plan details, usage, and coverage.
Select an hourly commitment for ECS instances
|Instance||Region||Instance type||System disk||Bandwidth||Eligible quantity|
|Instance A||China (Shanghai)||ecs.g6.xlarge||40 GiB ESSD PL0||3 Mbit/s||15|
|Instance B||China (Beijing)||ecs.c5.large||40 GiB ESSD PL0||3 Mbit/s||5|
Perform the following operations to calculate an appropriate hourly commitment:
- Go to the Pricing tab of the Elastic Compute Service page and the Discount Details page to query the regular pay-as-you-go and savings plan prices of Instance A.The following table lists the prices of a single instance.
Billable item Pay-as-you-go price (USD/hour) Savings plan discount Savings plan price (USD/hour) ECS instance type (computing resources) 0.155 54.5% off 0.0705 System disk 0.0064 58.8% off 0.0026 Network bandwidth 0.054 57.5% off 0.0229
After the savings plan is applied, the total cost of Instances A is calculated based on the following formula: (0.0705 + 0.0026 + 0.0229) × 15 = USD 1.44/hour.
- Query and calculate the prices of Instance B in the same way.The following table lists the prices of a single instance.
Billable item Pay-as-you-go price (USD/hour) Savings plan discount Savings plan price (USD/hour) ECS instance type (computing resources) 0.1 72.7% off 0.0273 System disk 0.0064 58.8% off 0.0026 Network bandwidth 0.054 57.5% off 0.0229
After the savings plan is applied, the total cost of Instances B is calculated based on the following formula: (0.0273 + 0.0026 + 0.0229) × 5 = USD 0.264/hour.
- Calculate an appropriate hourly commitment, which is the sum of total costs of Instances
A and Instances B.In this example, the recommended hourly commitment is calculated based on the following formula: 1.44 + 0.264 ≈ USD 1.70/hour.
Select an hourly commitment for ECI instances
For example, assume that William wants to optimize the costs for his ECI instances. The hourly bill of the ECI instances is USD 8/hour. William wants to purchase a three-year general-purpose savings plan with the All Upfront payment option.
- Go to the Discount Details page to query the discounts for ECI instances.In this example, the savings plan discount is 54.5% off.
- Calculate an appropriate hourly commitment.In this example, after the savings plan is applied, the hourly cost for the ECI instances is calculated based on the following formula: 8 × 0.455 = USD 3.64/hour. Therefore, when William purchases a three-year general-purpose savings plan with the All Upfront payment option, an hourly commitment of USD 3.64/hour is recommended to offset the existing hourly bills of the ECI instances.