A savings plan is a discount plan that allows you to receive pay-as-you-go billing discounts in exchange for a commitment to use a consistent amount (measured in USD/hour) of resources over a one-year or three-year period. After you purchase a savings plan, the hourly bills of your pay-as-you-go instances are covered up to the amount of the plan. This topic describes the billing methods and application rules of savings plans.
When you purchase a savings plan, you make a commitment to use a consistent amount of resources (measured in USD/hour) over a one-year or three-year period. After you purchase the savings plan, hourly bills of your pay-as-you-go instances are covered up to the amount of the plan. Savings plans must be used in conjunction with pay-as-you-go instances. Savings plans cannot be used separately. For more information, see Overview.
- All Upfront: Full payment is required upfront at purchase. No other fees are charged for the duration of the term.
- Partial Upfront: Partial payment (about 50% of the full amount) is required upfront at purchase. The remainder is paid on an hourly basis for the duration of the term.
- No Upfront: No upfront payment is required at purchase. The total fee is paid on an
hourly basis for the duration of the term.
Note In different payment options, the total fee required is the same, but you can obtain different discounts. The more you pay upfront, the greater the discount you can obtain and the more pay-as-you-go bills your savings plan can offset. Your ECS usage determines whether you can use the No Upfront payment option. If you want to use the No Upfront payment option, submit a ticket.
- All Upfront: The full amount of USD 876 is paid upfront at purchase.
- Partial Upfront: 50% of the full amount, USD 438, is paid upfront at purchase. The remaining USD 438 is charged at a rate of USD 0.05/hour on an hourly basis for the duration of the term, which is one year in this case.
- No Upfront: No upfront payment is made at purchase. The total fee is charged at a rate of USD 0.1/hour on an hourly basis for the duration of the term.
You can receive different discounts based on your selected payment option for your savings plans within the term. For more information, see the Discount Details page.
- The type of the saving plan
ECS compute savings plans offer higher discounts than general-purpose savings plans.
- The term of the savings plan
A longer term of a savings plan provides a higher discount.
- The payment option of the savings plan
The discount provided by a savings plan decreases in the following order of payment options: All Upfront > Partial Upfront > No Upfront.
- The instance family of the eligible instance
- The region of the eligible instance
- The operating system of the eligible instance
- If you have both general-purpose and ECS compute savings plans, the ECS compute savings plan is applied first.
- If your pay-as-you-go instances are billed based on a discount higher than that of your savings plans, the higher discount is applied first and the discounted charges are covered by your commitment of the savings plans.
- If you have different types of savings plans with different discounts, the plans take effect in the order in which they were purchased. For example, you have a one-year plan and a three-year plan, or you have an All Upfront savings plan, a Partial Upfront savings plan, and a No Upfront savings plan.
The following table provides examples of how savings plans apply in common scenarios. The unit prices and discounts listed in the table are only examples. The actual prices and discounts on the Pricing tab of the Elastic Compute Service page and the Discount Details page shall prevail.
|Pay-as-you-go instance||Savings plan||Hourly bill|
Note When multiple savings plans are applied to pay-as-you-go instances, the system automatically optimizes how the savings plans are applied to maximize the discount.