This topic describes two methods that are used to migrate data from a user-created PostgreSQL database to an ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL database.
Use Alibaba Cloud Data Transmission Service (DTS)
- DTS provides a graphical user interface (GUI) that simplifies operations. This GUI can also direct you to technical support in the event of errors.
- DTS supports the migration of incremental data at the minimal downtime.
- DTS supports the migration of full data free of charge. However, you must pay for the migration of incremental data.
You cannot specify tables by uploading files.
For more information, see Overview of data migration scenarios.
Use native PostgreSQL
If DTS cannot meet your business requirements, you can use native PostgreSQL to migrate data.
- Native PostgreSQL ensures compatibility with the user-created PostgreSQL database and the ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL database.
- Native PostgreSQL migrates data at high speeds.
- Native PostgreSQL allows you to specify schemas and databases. This way, you can migrate only the tables that you want to migrate.
- Native PostgreSQL does not support the migration of incremental data. It only supports the migration of full data.
- Native PostgreSQL requires you to understand the technical basics of PostgreSQL and Linux.
For more information, see Migrate an on-premises PostgreSQL database to ApsaraDB RDS PostgreSQL by using the psql command tool.