This topic provides an overview of timeline charts and an example on how to use timeline charts. This topic also describes how to configure timeline chart styles and how to delete a timeline chart. Timeline charts are available only in workspaces of the Quick BI Enterprise Standard edition.
A dashboard is created. For more information, see Create a standard dashboard.
A timeline chart shows events that occur over time.
The following example shows how to use a timeline chart to view events that occur in different years. In this example, the company_sales_record dataset is used.
- Perform the operations shown in the following figure to create a dashboard.
- In the Create Dashboard dialog box, select Standard or Full Screen, and click OK. In this example, Standard is selected.
- On the dashboard edit page, click the icon in the top menu bar and click the Timeline icon.
- On the Data tab, select dimensions based on your business requirements. In the Dimensions list, double-click order_date(year). You can also drag this dimension to the Timeline/Time Dimension field.
- Click Update to update the timeline chart.
- On the Style tab, configure parameters in the Basic Information and Chart Style sections. For more information, see Configure timeline chart styles.
- On the Advanced tab, configure the following parameters.
Parameter Option Description Advanced Settings Auto Refresh After you select Auto Refresh, the system refreshes the timeline chart as scheduled. For example, if you select Auto Refresh, enter 5, and then select Minutes, the system refreshes the timeline chart every 5 minutes. Filter Interaction After you configure Filter Interaction and click an area or field in the timeline chart, data in other charts that are associated with this chart is updated. For more information, see Configure the filter interaction feature.
- Click Save in the upper-right corner of the page to save the settings.
Configure timeline chart styles
- In the Basic Information section, configure Show Title and Description, Description, Endnote, and Show Link.
Note If Show Link is selected, you also need to configure Link Text and Link Address. If you click a field in the timeline chart, you are redirected to the linked report or an external link.Quick BI provides Time Granularity and Milestone for Visual Styles.
- In the Chart Style section, configure the chart style.
Parameter Description Mark Time Node Color The color for a time node. Empty Value Auto-fill Display If the time of the selected time field in the Timeline/Time Dimension section is earlier than the system time, the system automatically fills in the gap.Note You need to configure Empty Value Auto-fill Display only when Visual Style is set to Time Granularity. Mark Time Node and Description
The following figure shows the updated timeline chart.
- Display Time Node Icon: specifies whether to display or adjust the icon of a time node.
- Mark Time Node: specifies the icon and event description of a time node.
Delete a chart
- Click the icon in the upper-right corner of the line chart.
- Select Delete. The line chart is deleted.