This topic provides an overview of dynamic bar charts and an example on how to use dynamic bar charts. This topic also describes how to configure dynamic bar chart styles and how to delete a dynamic bar chart. Dynamic bar charts are available only in workspaces of the Quick BI Enterprise Standard edition.
A dashboard is created. For more information, see Create a standard dashboard.
A dynamic bar chart shows data over time.
- You can specify only one measure for Value Axis/Measure.
- You can specify only one dimension for Category/Dimension.
- You can specify only one dimension for Playback Timeline/Time Dimension. The dimension must be a time field.
The following example shows how to use a dynamic bar chart to compare the order quantities of each province in different years. In this example, the company_sales_record dataset is used.
- Perform the operations shown in the following figure to create a dashboard.
- In the Create Dashboard dialog box, select Standard or Full Screen, and click OK. In this example, Standard is selected.
- On the dashboard edit page, click the icon in the top menu bar and click the Dynamic Bar Chart icon.
- Select dimensions and measures based on your business requirements.
- In the Measures list, double-click order_number. You can also drag this measure to the Value Axis/Measure field.
- In the Dimensions list, double-click province. You can also drag this dimension to the Category/Dimension field.
- In the Dimensions list, double-click report_date(year). You can also drag this dimension to the Playback Timeline/Time Dimension field.
- Click Update to update the dynamic bar chart.
- You can click the icon next to Value Axis/Measure to modify the display name, aggregation method, and value display format of a measure. For more information, see Configure a chart.
- You can click the icon in the chart to dynamically display the order quantities of each province in different years.
- On the Style tab, configure parameters in the Basic Information, Style Settings, Functionality, and Axes sections. For more information, see Configure dynamic bar chart styles.
- On the Advanced tab, configure parameters in the Advanced Settings and Metric Analysis sections.
Parameter Option Description Advanced Settings Filter Interaction After you configure Filter Interaction and click an area or field in the dynamic bar chart, data in other charts that are associated with this chart is updated. For more information, see Configure the filter interaction feature. Metric Analysis Auxiliary Line Auxiliary lines can be used to show the difference between the value of a measure and the reference value indicated by an auxiliary line. The reference value indicated by an auxiliary line can be a fixed value or a calculated value. You can use the following calculated values: average, maximum, minimum, and median. For more information, see Auxiliary line.
- Click Save in the upper-right corner of the page to save the settings.
Configure dynamic bar chart styles
- In the Basic Information section, configure Show Title and Description, Description, Endnote, and Show Link.
Note If Show Link is selected, you also need to configure Link Text and Link Address. If you click a field in the dynamic bar chart, you are redirected to the linked report or an external link.
- In the Style Settings section, configure the chart style.
Parameter Description Display of Dimension Value Label Specifies where to display the dimensions that you added in the Category/Dimension section. You can display your data by using As Vertical Axis Label or As Bar Label. Show Labels Specifies whether to show labels. Data Color Settings The color for the dynamic bar chart.
- In the Functionality section, configure Playback Timeline Settings.
Parameter Description Playback Settings
- If you select Auto Playback When Page Loads, the animation for the dynamic bar chart is automatically played after the dashboard is loaded.
- If you select Loop, the animation for the dynamic bar chart is played repeatedly.
Show Current Time If you select Show Current Time, the data of the current year appears in the chart.
- In the Axes section, configure axis styles.
Parameter Option Description X-Axis Axis Title The title for the x-axis. Unit The unit for the x-axis. Minimum and Maximum The maximum and minimum values on the x-axis.Note If you select Default, the minimum and maximum values are automatically displayed on the x-axis. If you clear Default, you need to manually configure the minimum and maximum values on the x-axis. Auto Magnify Value Differences Specifies whether to magnify the value differences on the x-axis.Note If Auto Magnify Value Differences is selected, the axis range is adjusted based on the minimum and maximum values of the displayed data. Show Title and Unit Specifies whether to show the title and unit of the x-axis. Vertical Axis Axis Title The title for the vertical axis. Unit The unit for the vertical axis. Show Title and Unit Specifies whether to show the title and unit of the vertical axis.The following figure shows the updated dynamic bar chart.
Delete a chart
- Click the icon in the upper-right corner of the line chart.
- Select Delete. The line chart is deleted.