This topic shows you how to use Key Management Service (KMS) to create customer master keys (CMKs). CMKs are used to encrypt data.
- Log on to the KMS console.
- In the upper-left corner of the page, select the region in which you want to create a CMK.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Keys.
- Click Create Key.
- In the Create Key dialog box, set the parameters as required.
Parameter Description KeyStore A key store is a security domain that is used to store the CMK of KMS. For more information, see Overview. Key Spec The type of the CMK. Valid values:
Note Aliyun_SM4 and EC_SM2 types are used only in mainland China regions where managed hardware security modules (HSMs) are available.
- Symmetric keys:
- Asymmetric keys:
- Encrypt/Decrypt: The purpose of the CMK is to encrypt or decrypt data.
- Sign/Verify: The purpose of the CMK is to generate or verify a digital signature.
Alias Name The optional identifier of the CMK. For more information, see Overview. Protection Level
- Software: Use a software module to protect the CMK.
- Hsm: Manage the CMK in an HSM, which is dedicated hardware that safeguards the CMK.
Description The description of the CMK. Rotation Period The interval of automatic rotation. Valid values:
Note You can specify this parameter only if the Key Spec parameter is set to Aliyun_AES_256 or Aliyun_SM4.
- 30 Days
- 90 Days
- 180 Days
- 365 Days
- Disable: Automatic rotation is disabled.
- Customize: Customize an interval that ranges from 7 days to 730 days.
- Symmetric keys:
- Click Advanced and set the Key Material Source parameter.
- Alibaba Cloud KMS: Use KMS to generate key material.
- External: Import key material from an external source. For more information about how to import
key material, see Import key material.
Note If you select External, you must also select the check box for I understand the implications of using the external key materials key.
- Click OK.After the CMK is created, you can view its detailed information, such as the CMK ID, status, and protection level.